cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhobza
Partner

ActiveMQ

Jump to solution

I want to configure Alfresco All in one SDK project (version 3.0.1) to send messages to ActiveMQ. So I followed this guide:
Setting up ActiveMQ | Alfresco Documentation 
And in my alfresco-global.properties file I configured this value:
messaging.broker.url=failoverSmiley Sadtcp://localhost:61616)?timeout=3000
But when I start Alfresco no there are no messages comming to my ActiveMQ (even if I tried update content metadata). I tested my ActiveMQ with another application and it works fine (with same address and port). From this line in guide:
When you set up ActiveMQ, the Alfresco Content Services events and messaging subsystems are set to start up automatically.
I assumed no further configuration should be required. Are there some additional steps to get it working?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpotts
Professional

Re: ActiveMQ

Jump to solution

AFAIK, the broker that the documentation covers is the broker Alfresco uses for internal purposes. If you have your own broker, that's great. But there is nothing out-of-the-box that's going to start sending messages to it. You have to do that yourself. (My understanding is that Alfresco might start doing this in a future release but I haven't come across it yet).

The approach you take to do it yourself depends on what you are trying to do, but a behavior is one place to start. Here is one of my little projects that uses behaviors to write node events to a Kafka stream. I've also done something just like it using ActiveMQ instead.

I also came across a project from one of the Alfresco engineers that hooks into the audit service to send Kafka events. I think it is on github, but I don't recall where at the moment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jpotts
Professional

Jump to solution

At DevCon I asked the engineers about reusing Alfresco's ActiveMQ broker and they said not to do it. They were also surprised that it is documented.

Why not just install your own ActiveMQ broker and send messages to that?

If you need help getting that set up, let me know. I've probably got some code I can share.

lhobza
Partner

Jump to solution

I have my own separate ActiveMQ broker running. I want Alfresco to send it's messages to this separate ActiveMQ broker (for example on node update etc.).

Also what is the best way to notify external system (e.g. Apache Camel) about nodes change ? I have tried several approaches (auditing, behaviours, transaction listener...) but I am not sure which one is the best. 

jpotts
Professional

Jump to solution

AFAIK, the broker that the documentation covers is the broker Alfresco uses for internal purposes. If you have your own broker, that's great. But there is nothing out-of-the-box that's going to start sending messages to it. You have to do that yourself. (My understanding is that Alfresco might start doing this in a future release but I haven't come across it yet).

The approach you take to do it yourself depends on what you are trying to do, but a behavior is one place to start. Here is one of my little projects that uses behaviors to write node events to a Kafka stream. I've also done something just like it using ActiveMQ instead.

I also came across a project from one of the Alfresco engineers that hooks into the audit service to send Kafka events. I think it is on github, but I don't recall where at the moment.