Adding new file type support and thumbnail generation, why is it so hard to find clear examples on adding functionality?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dunbargomes
Member II

Adding new file type support and thumbnail generation, why is it so hard to find clear examples on adding functionality?

I've been trying to figure out how to add WMF file type support to our community version of Alfresco for some time now. I've not had any responses in the community forum.

I know its possible to generate these preview images, ResourceSpace does it with no problem.

I just cannot find clear examples on adding this new filetype support. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Any guidance would be appreciated.

1 Reply
afaust
Master

Re: Adding new file type support and thumbnail generation, why is it so hard to find clear examples on adding functionality?

I can't find any questions you may have previously posted (under your current user name), so of course you did not get any responses when no question has been asked...

Thumbnail / preview support can be added through transformers. ImageMagick (which Alfresco already knows how to use) can convert wmf to any other image with the right decoder. Adding thumbnail / preview support for WMF may just be as easy as ensuring ImageMagick has the decoder available / installed (may require a custom build / install for ImageMagick instead of the pre-built binary shipped with Alfresco installers / images). As far as I can see, the implementation of the ImageMagick transformer should work with most image/xxx mimetypes, so as long as WMF files are represented using image/wmf instead of application/wmf the transformer will happily deal with those files as long as the decoder is available.