Alfresco Community - Add info to file shared

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matteodefanti
Member II

Alfresco Community - Add info to file shared

I'm new on Alfresco, i would like to use it to store my documents.

Once scanned for example an invoice, i would like to be able to add that information in a way that it can be serchable.

I already thought a solution, which would be to store documents on Alfresco and insert the document ID to a database such as MongoDB to index that document.

But I found it a bit complicated, because i would use alfresco as an engine only, so renouncing to its web application to view/modify/delete documents

Hope I've been clear

Thanks in advance

Matteo

5 Replies
mikel_asla
Established Member

Re: Alfresco Community - Add info to file shared

Hi! See if i got it right... Smiley Happy

Alfresco already provides  a Search Engine (Solr4 by default), If all you want to do is searching for metadata or content held in your Alfresco repository documents, you can do it from within Share web application or you could use, for example, the Search REST API from somewhere else.

If your scanned invoices are not OCRed, you won't be able to search for content on those, if this is your case, this addon could help you.

Regards

matteodefanti
Member II

Thanks for the answer, 

I try with an example:
I upload a document InvoiceN1.pdf which is an image, and there is no OCR on that. On that file there is a Barcode which with whatever software i match info with that document.

Lets suppose that the addictional infos i get from the DB are InvoiceNumber, Year, InvoiceType, Customer.

I would like to be able to find that document searching for customer name.

So what i'm not able to find is how to insert those info I typed above (metadata?)

Thanks,

Matteo

mikel_asla
Established Member

In order to store custom metadata asociated with your document you'll need to create a content model that defines those properties, is that what you mean?

matteodefanti
Member II

Exactly, I've found this: Easy content modeling in Alfresco 5.1 | BataON 
And I can add custom properties, I've upload a document and for that document I can set the properties,

Now I would understand how is it possible to search by those properties in Alfresco Share, and where those informations are saved (I tried to run some queries in the solr database, without success)

So my question is how can I search from those custom properties and where are they stored?

Thanks 

mikel_asla
Established Member

Hi, 

In order to query the Solr indexes you'll need to use one of the Alfresco provided APIs, one option is to use the REST API, as I mentioned on my first comment, check this post for reference on how to test it with postman (one of many rest clients out there, but happens to be in fashion right now). Then, depending on what your're trying to do, you need to integrate those http request/responses in your application.