Alfresco community edition 5.0 application tier scalable or not ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dba100
Active Member II

Alfresco community edition 5.0 application tier scalable or not ?

Jump to solution

I read this one:

https://hub.alfresco.com/t5/alfresco-content-services-forum/alfresco-community-edition-limitations/m...

so Alfresco community edition 5.0 application tier scalable or not ? I am not sure if only database tier is NOT scaleable or database , application tier, index tier and content service ALL not scalable ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Alfresco community edition 5.0 application tier scalable or not ?

Jump to solution

"Scalable" can have different meanings to different people. In general, I consider Alfresco Community Edition to be scalable. Some people narrow "scalable" to mean that you can horizontally scale it with active clustering. As you have read from the linked post, active clustering is a feature of the Alfresco Enterprise Edition, meaning it is not available in Alfresco Community Edition out of the box, unless you are considering third party extensions, e.g. like aldica. The database tier is also horizontally scalable, i.e. there are either vendor-provided variants or extensions to scale MySQL, MariaDB, or PostgreSQL. Alfresco Search Services (the index tier) also can be scaled horzontally by using Sharding - the main difference between Enterprise and Community Edition is that Community does not support dynamic shard registration.

Alfresco 5.0 is quite an old version at this point, so the above refers to the more current versions 6.2 / 7.0. It generally also applies to earlier versions, but extensions such as aldica are only available/supported for a limited range of versions.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

"Scalable" can have different meanings to different people. In general, I consider Alfresco Community Edition to be scalable. Some people narrow "scalable" to mean that you can horizontally scale it with active clustering. As you have read from the linked post, active clustering is a feature of the Alfresco Enterprise Edition, meaning it is not available in Alfresco Community Edition out of the box, unless you are considering third party extensions, e.g. like aldica. The database tier is also horizontally scalable, i.e. there are either vendor-provided variants or extensions to scale MySQL, MariaDB, or PostgreSQL. Alfresco Search Services (the index tier) also can be scaled horzontally by using Sharding - the main difference between Enterprise and Community Edition is that Community does not support dynamic shard registration.

Alfresco 5.0 is quite an old version at this point, so the above refers to the more current versions 6.2 / 7.0. It generally also applies to earlier versions, but extensions such as aldica are only available/supported for a limited range of versions.

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution
dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi,

tks for replying.

"Some people narrow "scalable" to mean that you can horizontally scale it with active clustering. As you have read from the linked post, active clustering is a feature of the Alfresco Enterprise Edition, meaning it is not available in Alfresco Community Edition out of the box,unless you are considering third party extensions, e.g. like aldica."

So with third party extensions, e.g. like aldica, Community edition can also do application horizontal scale out, right?

But it is only for new alfresco, like 6.2 and 7 ?

"The database tier is also horizontally scalable, i.e. there are either vendor-provided variants or extensions to scale MySQL, MariaDB, or PostgreSQL. Alfresco Search Services (the index tier) also can be scaled horzontally by using Sharding - the main difference between Enterprise and Community Edition is that Community does not support dynamic shard registration."

but I have been told that the database tier of community edition 5.0 can't be clustered, like MySQL InnodB cluster, MariaDB cluste, PXC (Percona MySQL cluster), etc.  so is that true ?

or starting from 6.2 the database tier can be clustered by MySQL, MariaDB or PXC?

"the main difference between Enterprise and Community Edition is that Community does not support dynamic shard registration"

and this also refers to Alfresco 6.2 - 7 ?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi,

for this:

https://hub.alfresco.com/t5/alfresco-content-services-forum/upgrade-alfresco-5-0-to-6-0/td-p/295825/...

is it possilbe for us to upgrade from 5.0 to 6.2 / 7 ? or we must upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 , then 5.2 to 7 ?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

seem only enterprise is scalable.