cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hiten_rastogi1
Established Member

Alfresco-Outlook integration addon

Hi,

Are there any addon that allows alfresco to integrate with outlook? If not, can any alfresco developer shed some light how I can achieve it.  Mainly the estimation of effort that will be required, the time and additional knowledge, difficulty, etc.

The use case that I am trying to achieve is that the user will select a message(email) from the outlook and press the Alfresco button(to be created via plugin) in the outlook that will pop up a window in the outlook requesting user's login credentials for the Alfresco after login the user can browse through the repository and select the folder for upload and click the upload button in the window that will upload the message and the attachments in the Alfresco from outlook.

Thanks 

Hiten Rastogi

10 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Alfresco-Outlook integration addon

There is an official module from Alfresco / Westernacher for Outlook integration, though that is only for Enterprise Edition / paying customers.

hiten_rastogi1
Established Member

Thanks AFaust but I would really like to know how I can build it on my own.

Thanks

Hiten Rastogi

Sr. Software Engineer

Mobile: +91 9899586608

Email: hiten.rastogi@eisenvault.com

afaust
Master

You asked "if" there was an addon, and only "if not" did you want to have other input. So I was following your if-else construct.

Without really knowing your specific requirements, scope and use cases you want to address, no one can give you a reasonable estimate and/or approach to "how to build it". Also, if any one would have detailed info on this, chances are they'd build their own integration and potentially not want to share their IP. Lastly, isn't it your job as a Sr. Software Engineer to figure this out, instead of requesting from / relying on information provided by some anonymous bloke on a public web site?

hiten_rastogi1
Established Member

Hi Alex,

I have edited the question with the requirements hope it would make sense now.

I am just starting to build this and thought of asking the community about it for some clarity on how to proceed. What I require is some points that can help me figuring out the what I might need or challenges that I can come across.

Needless to say any help is appreciated.

idwright

You can map Alfresco folders into outlook by using the IMAP integration which provides a basic way to do part of what you're aiming for.

hiten_rastogi1
Established Member

Hi Ian,

I have tried IMAP integration but it does not provide the solution I am looking for.
afaust
Master

Not to mention that the IMAP integration can tank your system performance when you have complex folder structures / many folders subscribed to / many users in general.

idwright

Never said it would but might provide a stepping stone

idwright

Indeed - needs to be used with care, and be careful about which folders you map - don't map at too high a level