Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
test2017_test
Member II

Alfresco permissions to add users on sites

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm new on Alfresco and I would like to know how to manage permissions to give only access for some users to add users on sites.

I made some tests and I see that with the role Manager a user can add others users on spaces but it's too many permissions for me.

Is there a way to give only this permission?

Kind regards,

T.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gluck113
Established Member

Re: Alfresco permissions to add users on sites

Jump to solution

Hi test, 

For your HelpDesk team I would create a new permissionGroup like explained here Defining permissions | Alfresco Documentation .

I would include the following permission Groups (ReadPermissions and  ChangePermissions)

Don't forget not to modify directly the permissionDefinitions.xml but overload it as Alfresco Best Practices

Tell me how it works out.

Simon

View solution in original post

7 Replies
gluck113
Established Member

Jump to solution

Hello Test, 

As you invite users in your Site, as Site Manager you can decide which role you will give them in your Site.

Here is documentation about managing site members:

Managing site members | Alfresco Documentation 

and the different roles (look at the contributor and collaborator roles) you can assign and their permissions:

User roles and permissions | Alfresco Documentation 

Hope it helps, 

Regards, 

Simon

test2017_test
Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Simon,

I would like to create a custom role, who users can only manage permissions on sites.

This will be used for HelpDesk Team, I only want they can add users and nothing else.

Any idea?

Thanks.

T.

gluck113
Established Member

Jump to solution

Hi test, 

For your HelpDesk team I would create a new permissionGroup like explained here Defining permissions | Alfresco Documentation .

I would include the following permission Groups (ReadPermissions and  ChangePermissions)

Don't forget not to modify directly the permissionDefinitions.xml but overload it as Alfresco Best Practices

Tell me how it works out.

Simon

test2017_test
Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please tell me more about Alfresco BP to define new permissions?

Thanks.

T.

gluck113
Established Member

Jump to solution

Hi Test,

So the Best Practice is not to change the default permissionDefinitions.xml file but to create a new configuration file that will override or add new permissions. By the way almost all alfresco adaptations and customisations work that way.

Check out a concrete example at  :

alfresco-sdk-samples/all-in-one/add-permission-repo at alfresco-51 · Alfresco/alfresco-sdk-samples ·... 

You can see in the customPermissionDefinitions.xml that they have defined new roles and which are included permissions. You need to see it as lego building blocks ;-)

. In the bootstrap-context.xml file you can see that the customPermissionDefinitions.xml is loaded in the environement.

Regards,

Simon

test2017_test
Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Simon,

I'm not familiar with Alfresco, where do I have to put these files on my server?

With bootstrap file, I can use new permissions like CancelCheckOut, ChangePermissions, CreateChildren, Delete, Write... right?

Thanks in advance.

T.

gluck113
Established Member

Jump to solution

Hi test, 

If you are not very familiar with Alfresco extensions please check out the development section of the documentation:

Developer guide | Alfresco Documentation 

The bootstrap.xml file should only be used to load external ressources when alfresco starts-up.

In your case look more at the customPermissionDefinitions.xml file and then put in your bootstrap.xml so it's loaded when alfresco starts-up.

And if you have time to invest, check out this book to have a good understanding of alfresco globally.

Alfresco One 5.x Developer's Guide - Second Edition | Now just $10 

Hope it helps