cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamilnour
Established Member

Aspect size limitation

Hello,

Is there any limitation to insert a thousand number of records into the alfresco aspects?

If not, what is the impact of the following call:

Serializable subscriptionCreated = nodeService.getProperty(companyHome, BluvaltEducationModel.PROP_SUBSCRIPTION_CREATED);
Map<String, String> subscribedUsers = new HashMap<String, String>();
subscribedUsers = (Map) subscriptionCreated;

Is java will support it without crashing?  

Thank you

Jamil

5 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Aspect size limitation

I can't see in your code example where there would be thousands of records...

Generally, there is no technical limit to the number of aspects on a node, or the number of entries in a multiple property value. In your example you are apparently storing a Map as a property value - maps will be stored as binary objects (BLOB) in the database, which may limit some functionality like DB-level querying. I would not use such large maps as values...

jamilnour
Established Member

Here how I read, process then add a new value to the aspect with some comments 

Map<String, String> subscribedUsers = new HashMap<String, String>();

//Read the saved aspect
Serializable subscriptionCreatedSer = nodeService.getProperty(companyHome, BluvaltEducationModel.PROP_SUBSCRIPTION_CREATED);

//Cast to Map because the aspect is a Map {String, String}
subscribedUsers = (Map) subscriptionCreatedSer;

//search on the Map subscribedUsers and get a value
String subscribedData = subscribedUsers.get("id");
//some processing

//add new aspect Map value
subscribedUsers.put(key, eventStr); //key is an id, eventStr is a JSON as string
nodeService.setProperty(companyHome, BluvaltEducationModel.PROP_SUBSCRIPTION_CREATED, (Serializable) subscribedUsers);

From the log the print of the aspect content is like this:

14640, {"id": "efcf086e-6364-414b-9068-93c6ba859416", "type": "subscription.created", "service": ...}
23241, {"data":{"end_date":null,"canceled_at":null,"created":"2017-07-25T13:25:04.680649Z","datacenter":...}
14645, {"id": "efcf086e-6364-414b-9068-93c6ba859416", "type": "subscription.created", "service": ...}
23255, {"data":{"end_date":null,"canceled_at":null,"created":"2017-07-25T13:25:04.680649Z","datacenter":...}
14677, {"id": "efcf086e-6364-414b-9068-93c6ba859416", "type": "subscription.created", "service": ...}
23200, {"data":{"end_date":null,"canceled_at":null,"created":"2017-07-25T13:25:04.680649Z","datacenter":...}
14647, {"id": "efcf086e-6364-414b-9068-93c6ba859416", "type": "subscription.created", "service": ...}
23277, {"data":{"end_date":null,"canceled_at":null,"created":"2017-07-25T13:25:04.680649Z","datacenter":...}

I will have a thousand of added aspect and my concern is about the subscribedUsers variable in java

Thank you

Jamil

afaust
Master

What you are storing is not an aspect - you are storing a single property with a complex value. You are not using the Alfresco data model correctly. The key-value entries in your map should be individual properties in the Alfresco data model...

jamilnour
Established Member

It is a single property with a complex value but inside an aspect

myModel.xml

<aspects>
    <aspect name="bm:subscriptionDetails">
        <title>Subscription Details</title>
        <properties>
            <property name="bm:subscriptionCreated">
                <title>Subscription Created</title>
                <type>d:any</type>
                <mandatory>false</mandatory>
            </property>
        </properties>
    </aspect>  
</aspects>

Model interface

static final QName ASPECT_SUBSCRIPTION_DETAILS = QName.createQName(BLUVALT_ADAPTER_MODEL_1_0_URI, "subscriptionDetails");
static final QName PROP_SUBSCRIPTION_CREATED = QName.createQName(BLUVALT_ADAPTER_MODEL_1_0_URI, "subscriptionCreated");

So before the code I paste in my last post I am checking if the aspect is there or not. If not, I create it. Then I read the property (the complex value) and I iterate and add to it before I save it again in the property of the aspect:

if(!nodeService.hasAspect(companyHome, BluvaltEducationModel.ASPECT_SUBSCRIPTION_DETAILS)) {//we create it
    nodeService.addAspect(companyHome, BluvaltEducationModel.ASPECT_SUBSCRIPTION_DETAILS, new HashMap<QName, Serializable>());
}

Is it okay now? if not what you suggest

Thanks

Jamil

afaust
Master

Each key-value entry in the map should be a separate property on the aspect. This also allows you to specify proper types for these properties, e.g. instead of d:any you can use d:text for data you know to be text. And you can then also use these properties for querying.

The way you are using the single property now is just like a data dump. You would not need to use Alfresco to do that, and could probably do it more efficiently without it.