AUpgrading from Alfresco 5.0 to 6.2/7 will upgrade the PostgreSQL too ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dba100
Active Member II

AUpgrading from Alfresco 5.0 to 6.2/7 will upgrade the PostgreSQL too ?

Jump to solution

hi,

We are running Alfreso 5.0 community edition and we want to upgrade it to 6.2/7 , is it directly upgradebe ?

And the PostgreSQL 9.3.6 come with Alfresco 5.0 community, after upgrading to 6.2/7, will the  PostgreSQL version upgraded as well, any information on what vesrion of Postgresql will be upgrade to?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cristinamr
Advanced

Re: AUpgrading from Alfresco 5.0 to 6.2/7 will upgrade the PostgreSQL too ?

Jump to solution

Hi!

You need first to jump between 5 to 5.2. Then to latest, 7.

Here you can see the supported platform (including postgresql) per each Alfresco version.

Here I'll give you a video (jump between 5.2 to 7).

Cheers!

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc

View solution in original post

9 Replies
cristinamr
Advanced

Jump to solution

Hi!

You need first to jump between 5 to 5.2. Then to latest, 7.

Here you can see the supported platform (including postgresql) per each Alfresco version.

Here I'll give you a video (jump between 5.2 to 7).

Cheers!

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc
dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi,

tks.

any idea on this:

And the PostgreSQL 9.3.6 come with Alfresco 5.0 community, after upgrading to 6.2/7, will the  PostgreSQL version upgraded as well, any information on what vesrion of Postgresql will be upgrade to?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

"Here I'll give you a video (jump between 5.2 to 7)."

I expect from 5.0 to 5.2 the same way ?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

@cristinamr 

hi,

May I know if there is any update for me  ?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

@angelborroy 

any idea on this ? 

e.g. what PostgreSQL version will be upgrade if we upgrade Alfresco:

1) from community 5.0 to 5.2.

2) 5.2 to 7 ?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

I go thought most of the upgrade doc and it seems the postgreSQL will be upgraded to latest vesrion too. 

We will have a hands on it soon while waiting for Alfresco team to reply .

heiko_robert

Jump to solution

You need to understand the different deployment/installation methods and that there will be no automatic (postgres) upgrade. You always have to do a new, fresh install for any new Alfresco version. Depending on your deployment you could either reuse the existing db or would restore the db in the new system from a backup. In case you reuse the same db you're responsible to update/upgrade postgres on that system to a version which is supported by the new Alfresco version. If you restore the db to a new system including postres install the db upgrade will be done implicitly by the db restore but may take down your production system too long since you have to do a full dump and restore.

In principle best practice is

• install new Alfresco version on a fresh system
  • point the db to the old db in config or restore db from a dump
  • restore contentstore from the backup or point the alf_date to the old one which could be a mount from a filer/nas

I prefer to store the contentstore on a independant filer mounted into the Alfresco system and to run the db on a separate vm. This makes updates/upgrade and maintenance much easier and faster. On top you can use concepts like snapshots. If you run the db independant from the Alfresco installation you can just keep the same db.

I guess your 5.0 system has been created by something like the installer or manual deployment from the Alfresco version zip. Alfresco 6/7 has no longer the old installer. You could choose between docker, zip or ansible playbooks.
Independant from Alfresco we (ecm4u.de) maintain our Virtual Alfresco Appliance based on Ubuntu LTS in the OVA format to be loaded into VMWare ESX(i). Our customers still prefer to run Alfresco in production as vm(s) instead of containers but that's of course just a question of skills in the maintenance team(s).

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

tks for the update.

" and that there will be no automatic (postgres) upgrade"

so the Alfresco installation is not going to upgrade the postgreSQL for us as it will alwasy be clean installation on another/new VM box?

"Depending on your deployment you could either reuse the existing db"

reuse first! just buy repoint the DB configuration:

db.url=jdbcSmiley Tongueostgresql://postgres.keensoft.es:5432/${db.name}

e.g. postgres.keensoft.es to our old postgreSQL full domain name ?

"In case you reuse the same db you're responsible to update/upgrade postgres on that system to a version which is supported by the new Alfresco version. "

but can Alfresco community 7 use the old postgreSQL 9.3.x ?

"In principle best practice is

install new Alfresco version on a fresh system
point the db to the old db in config or restore db from a dump
restore contentstore from the backup or point the alf_date to the old one which could be a mount from a filer/nas"

yeah, this is understandable approach.

"I prefer to store the contentstore on a independant filer mounted into the Alfresco system and to run the db on a separate vm"

but how can we separate/customerize the solr index service to other disk ? move the new solr to another server is not good but different disk ?

so content store and solr service to another LOCAL disk is better?

"On top you can use concepts like snapshots. If you run the db independant from the Alfresco installation you can just keep the same db."

yeah!

"Our customers still prefer to run Alfresco in production as vm(s) instead of containers but that's of course just a question of skills in the maintenance team(s)."

just because they only know VM but not container ?

dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi,

As we are now running community 5 and upgrade to 7 need to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2 first and then 7, by this procedure:

"In principle best practice is

• install new Alfresco version on a fresh system
  • point the db to the old db in config or restore db from a dump
  • restore contentstore from the backup or point the alf_date to the old one which could be a mount from a filer/nas

"

seems all steps has to execute 2 times ?

upgrade of PostgreSQL should only be 1 time.