Beginner Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riadhazzouz

Beginner Question

I am new to alfresco, I am working on making some customization to the share by adding some use cases.
I've been following Jeff Potts's tutorial for 9 days (this is the link to the Tuto About the Alfresco Developer Tutorial Series | ECM Architect ). Then I figured out that I should use Alfresco ADF (I don't know if it's right), so what I want to know is, what is the relation between the all-in-one archetype project and the ADF, and from where I should start.

4 Replies
riadhazzouz

Re: Beginner Question

Does it make sense ?

kintu_barot

To start with Index of /alfresco-developer-series-tutorials by Jeff Pott is good enough.

I will advise you to take a look at the architecture of alfresco and have some user experience.

Regards,

Kintu

ContCentric

Regards,
Kintu
shyam_ghodasra
Active Member II

Hi Riadh Azzouz,
First of all Welcome to alfresco...

Let me put you in this way there are 2 Frontend for alfresco
1)Alfresco share is ready GUI with all the functionality...
2)ADF is still in development so you will not get all the alfresco functionality..

And Alfresco provide mainly 3 archetype project
1)all-in-one (include repo and share)
2)share
3)repo 
for more info Introduction to Maven archetypes | Alfresco Documentation 

And for Share and ADF you can look into this link and understand the architecture..

Thanks,
Shyam Ghodasra

jpotts
Professional

Riadh,

You also asked this question on my blog, so I'm going to re-post my answer here in case it is helpful to others:

Thanks for reading the blog, working through the tutorials, and for your question. The all-in-one archetype project sets up a project that creates a repository tier AMP and a Share tier AMP. Before ADF, there was nothing else. Those two things–Alfresco as the repository and Share as the front-end web client–were all that was needed.

The ADF introduces a new development framework. Among other things, it includes Angular components and a client-side JavaScript library. There is also a new web client called the Alfresco Digital Workspace, which was built with the ADF. The ADF and its components, as well as any application built with the ADF, is entirely client-side. The ADF does not include a repository. So, if you intend to do anything on the Alfresco server-side such as extend the content model, write custom behaviors, actions, or web scripts, you’ll still need to build a repository tier AMP, which you can do with the all-in-one archetype.

So, whether or not you need to understand the ADF depends entirely on whether or not you intend to build a custom client using the ADF Angular components or customize the Alfresco Digital Workspace. If not, you do not need it. If so, you’ll need to understand the back-end through these tutorials first, then start learning ADF.

Jeff