Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmichelot
Member II

best approach to ask metadata when uploading a file

Jump to solution

Hello !

I am in the process of building a prototype using Alfresco.

We have several use cases that we try to implement in Alfresco (community) to see if the product is a good fit for us.

One of them is something that I thought was part of the core of any EDM : ask for metadata when uploading a certain kind of documents. (It is pretty straight forward to do it with sharepoint).

For now, I found that in Alfresco, you can upload a doc, then apply a specific aspect to it, then edit the properties. So you would be able to set your metadata.

I guess you could set also a workflow on a folder to apply the aspect automatically. But still, our users would have to edit manually the properties to add their metadata.

It is not really what we are looking for. We want to be sure that each uploaded file has its metadata filled.

Do you think there might be another approach that doesn't require heavy developement ? I was told about an addon, uploader-plus, but I am a bit reluctant to use it :

- you can apply types but no aspects

- it is not part of the core, so I am worry about maintenance issues (last version from 2017 I believe)

Thanks a lot for your thoughs on this matter,

Best regards,

Julien Michelot

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

Re: best approach to ask metadata when uploading a file

Jump to solution

You should use uploader plus only.When specifying properties in model form(used when you are creating true).If you would like to force the form to display aspect based property also then you can set force=true in form configuration.

If you want to set some properties mandatory then you need to specify it in content model.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

You should use uploader plus only.When specifying properties in model form(used when you are creating true).If you would like to force the form to display aspect based property also then you can set force=true in form configuration.

If you want to set some properties mandatory then you need to specify it in content model.

abbask01

Jump to solution

you can try this extension. it will ask for meta-data in a form dialog everytime user uploads a file in the repository

Regards,
Abbas
jmichelot
Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Krutik, thank you very much for your answer. So I tried to install this addon to my prototype but I can't figure out why it is not working (nothing shows up in the Admin tool page). Here are my steps :

1) I stopped the Alfresco server (sudo /opt/alfresco-community/alfresco.sh stop)

2) I copied uploader-plus-surf-1.6.amp to /opt/alfresco-community/amps and uploader-plus-repo-1.6.amp to /opt/alfresco-community/amps_share

3) I ran this command: sudo bin/apply_amps.sh

4) I got this output:

Found java executable in /opt/alfresco-community/java

This script will apply all the AMPs in amps and amps_share to the alfresco.war and share.war files in /opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps
Press control-c to stop this script . . .
Press any other key to continue . . .

Module 'uploader-plus-surf' installed in '/opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/alfresco.war'
- Title: uploader-plus-surf
- Version: 1.6.1801311724
- Install Date: Mon Jul 22 15:33:48 CEST 2019
- Description: uploader-plus AMP for Alfresco Share
Module 'org.alfresco.integrations.google.docs' installed in '/opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/alfresco.war'
- Title: Alfresco / Google Docs Integration
- Version: 3.0.4
- Description: The Repository side artifacts of the Alfresco / Google Docs Integration.
Module 'alfresco-aos-module' installed in '/opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/alfresco.war'
- Title: Alfresco Office Services Module
- Version: 1.1.6
- Description: Allows applications that can talk to a SharePoint server to talk to your Alfresco installation
Module 'alfresco-share-services' installed in '/opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/alfresco.war'
- Title: Alfresco Share Services AMP
- Version: 5.2.0
- Install Date: Mon Jul 22 15:33:47 CEST 2019
- Description: Module to be applied to alfresco.war, containing APIs for Alfresco Share
Module 'uploader-plus-repo' installed in '/opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/share.war'
- Title: uploader-plus-repo
- Version: 1.6.1801311724
- Install Date: Mon Jul 22 15:33:51 CEST 2019
- Description: uploader-plus AMP for Alfresco repository
Module 'org.alfresco.integrations.share.google.docs' installed in '/opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/share.war'
- Title: Alfresco / Google Docs Share Module
- Version: 3.0.4
- Install Date: Mon Jul 22 15:33:50 CEST 2019
- Description: The Share side artifacts of the Alfresco / Google Docs Integration.
About to clean out /opt/alfresco-community/tomcat/webapps/alfresco and share directories and temporary files...
Press control-c to stop this script . . .
Press any other key to continue . . .

Cleaning temporary Alfresco files from Tomcat...

- restarted the server.

Do you have an idea of what I missed ? I spent few hours and I still can't figure out...

Thanks for your help !

krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

Once installed you need to configure it inside admin tools page.What type of documents will be populated after upload.

jmichelot
Member II

Jump to solution

Ok, I found my mistake ! I just mixed up the 2 amp files ! Thanks !