Call external class by javascript in rules of folder

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcog
Partner

Call external class by javascript in rules of folder

I need to call an external class when an update is made to the document in the folder. The rule will execute a javascript.
I would like to know or read about how to make this class call by javascript.
If it is possible?

Can someone help me?

4 Replies
jpotts
Professional

Re: Call external class by javascript in rules of folder

Folder rules can invoke Java classes that are instances of ActionExecuterAbstractBase. That means you can write your own Java class and make a call to any other class on the classpath.

Folder rules can also execute JavaScript. That's because there is a Java class that extends ActionExecuterAbstractBase that knows how to run JavaScript.

So, your first option is to write a Java class, extend ActionExecuterBase, and call your class from there.

But you said you want to call JavaScript and your JavaScript is going to call a class. That's kind of "the long way around" but it's perfectly fine. In that case, you'll need to write a Java class that is a scope processor extension. Basically it just exposes your Java class to JavaScript. That class can call the other Java class that is on the classpath, and because it is a scope processor extension, it will be exposed as a root variable in Alfresco's server-side JavaScript.

All that's left to do at that point is set up your folder rule, use the "Execute Script" action, and point to your server-side JavaScript that makes the call to your new root variable.

marcog
Partner

Many thanks Jeff.

Would you have any examples or reference books for me to take as a basis?
For I am extremely new to this scenario.

Thanks

jpotts
Professional

My actions tutorial shows how to write an action, but I do not show how to do the processor extension.

However, the ACL Templates add-on that I maintain on behalf of one of my clients has an example of this. The AclTemplateServiceScopedObject class exposes the Java-based ACL Template Service to JavaScript.

marcog
Partner

Thanks Jeff.

Very helpful and helped a lot.

BS