Can someone please explain the warning: "Don't give permissions to users who aren't a member of the site, as this can cause problems with the document library."?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nemanjaza94
Member II

Can someone please explain the warning: "Don't give permissions to users who aren't a member of the site, as this can cause problems with the document library."?

This is located in the documentation file: "http://docs.alfresco.com/community/tasks/library-item-permissions.html". I want to know in which case an error can occur and what kind of problem can it cause since it worked without a problem while I was testing it. Sharing document and folder permissions between sites would be a core feature of my application.

3 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: Can someone please explain the warning: "Don't give permissions to users who aren't a member of the site, as this can cause problems with the document library."?

You can share documents by any other means. Why do you need to play with default Site permissions? What are your business requirements for that?

Hyland Developer Evangelist
douglascrp
Advanced II

Re: Can someone please explain the warning: "Don't give permissions to users who aren't a member of the site, as this can cause problems with the document library."?

Share will complain about permissions, because the user will not have the permission to read information about the site/folder where the document is.

Besides that, the only way the user will be able to access the document will be by having the URL or using search.

nemanjaza94
Member II

My idea was to create a site for every department inside an organization and use this type of sharing for collaboration between departments.
For example, I want to have a folder containing a "project" inside a site with default site permissions. That project would be a collaboration between users from one department and only certain users from another department. Outside users should have view and edit permissions for only that one project (folder) from that site and nothing else. When the project ends, the folder should remain in that site and only be visible within the site (permissions for outside users should be revoked).
Sharing problem could be solved by creating a new site for every project and adding users and groups as members, but then the system would be quickly filled with "project sites", besides, the projects should be inside and connected to their "parent sites". The same thing applies for sharing single documents.
I guess I could create one site with folders for each department but since permissions outside sites worked in Share, I wanted to know why shouldn't I implement it this way. By the way, I would probably make some custom browsing for "shared" files and folders.