Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akafortes
Active Member II

Changing the Alfresco Share language

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I want to change the display language of the Share UI to use a non officially supported language (Greek).

So I tried to follow with this article Language Packs, even though it was last updated in October 8th 2016.

From there I got to Community Translations which got me to https://crowdin.net/project/alfresco and from there I got a link for Alfresco language packs nightly builds. They provide source files and already packed JAR files.

At this point the Language Packs lost me.

In the article it talks about Alfresco Explorer, it has some links to documentation that return 404 errors.

It also mentions TinyMCE and after searching the documentation I found this Installing TinyMCE language packs

which does nothing so I'm obviously missing something there that the documentation doesn't mention.

The whole process seems a bit confusing, and with all the changes and new versions the documentation looks a bit fragmented.

Can anyone provide some guidance on how to go about adding the translation files, you can get from https://crowdin.net/project/alfresco, in an Alfresco installation?

Thank you very much Smiley Happy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Changing the Alfresco Share language

Jump to solution

You can safely ignore any mention of the Alfresco Explorer. This product is not part of the distribution anymore since Alfresco 5.0.

If you already have neatly packed JARs from the nightly downloads, you should be able to simply drop them in tomcat/webapps/alfresco/WEB-INF/lib/ and tomcat/webapps/share/WEB-INF/lib/ to be picked up on the next restart. Depending on your Tomcat configuration, a cleaner deployment would see these JARs put into tomcat/shared/lib/ or tomcat/shared/ (depending on the shared.loader configuration in tomcat/conf/catalina.properties).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

You can safely ignore any mention of the Alfresco Explorer. This product is not part of the distribution anymore since Alfresco 5.0.

If you already have neatly packed JARs from the nightly downloads, you should be able to simply drop them in tomcat/webapps/alfresco/WEB-INF/lib/ and tomcat/webapps/share/WEB-INF/lib/ to be picked up on the next restart. Depending on your Tomcat configuration, a cleaner deployment would see these JARs put into tomcat/shared/lib/ or tomcat/shared/ (depending on the shared.loader configuration in tomcat/conf/catalina.properties).

akafortes
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Hello Axel,

sorry it took me so long to respond. I've placed the files where you said (tried both WEB-INF/lib and shared/lib/) with no success.
The files that I downloaded are

• alfresco-el.jar   - repo file
  • share-el.jar       - share file
  • repo-rm-el.jar   - RM repo file
  • share-rm-el.jar‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ - RM share file

These are the JARs available to download. Do the files need to be named with a specific convention or can I just drop them in the folder you suggested, and after the restart, Alfresco is supposed to pick them up?

Are there any other steps that I need to follow in order to get the translation to work?

Thank you very much

akafortes
Active Member II

Jump to solution

I was having problems making this work but finally found out that the problem was that Google Chrome doesn't actually change the browser locale when you select a different display language.
This post in Stack Overflow How to change the locale in chrome browser helped me to actually change the broswer locale and then the translation worked perfectly.

P.S. Don't know if it is needed or not but after reading this documentation, Installing TinyMCE language packs, I downloaded and installed the Greek package.