Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hugueitor
Member II

Connecting to external FTP Server

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I would like to connect my Alfresco Repo to an external FTP Server, I am not attempting to manage that external server which belongs to another company, else I need to transfer periodically some files from a particular folder in my repo.

I wonder if I have to program a specific module in order to do that or would it be a nice and upper level way to "integrate" this external server?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpotts
Professional

Re: Connecting to external FTP Server

Jump to solution

There are lots of ways you could do this:

1. You could leverage Alfresco's FTP server or Alfresco via WebDAV and write a shell script that copies files from Alfresco to the target FTP server. The script could be triggered by cron.

2. You could write an Alfresco scheduled Action. The Action would be implemented in Java and would leverage something like the Apache Commons Net API for communiating to the FTP server.

3. If you don't like the scheduled Action idea, you could write a Java-based web script. Similar to the previous, you would leverage a library that knows how to write files to FTP servers. You could trigger the web script from a shell script that runs via cron.

Those are some ideas. Hope they help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jpotts
Professional

Jump to solution

There are lots of ways you could do this:

1. You could leverage Alfresco's FTP server or Alfresco via WebDAV and write a shell script that copies files from Alfresco to the target FTP server. The script could be triggered by cron.

2. You could write an Alfresco scheduled Action. The Action would be implemented in Java and would leverage something like the Apache Commons Net API for communiating to the FTP server.

3. If you don't like the scheduled Action idea, you could write a Java-based web script. Similar to the previous, you would leverage a library that knows how to write files to FTP servers. You could trigger the web script from a shell script that runs via cron.

Those are some ideas. Hope they help.

hugueitor
Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much for your prompt response, I will analyse which option suits better for our environment.

All the best!

Hugo