Connecting Zimbra SMTP server for outgoing emails: Strange Behavior

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
200million

Connecting Zimbra SMTP server for outgoing emails: Strange Behavior

Dear Experts,

Really appreciate your help on the below.

First the background info,

$JAVA_HOME
bash: /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-11.0.8.10-0.el7_8.x86_64

Alfresco: 6.2 Community Edition

Now here's the problem,

This is my Zimbra settings which I tried from Thunderbird inatalled in the CentOS server.
Email sending works perfectly with Thunderbird.

mail-settings2.png

This is my alfresco settings,

mail.host=192.168.150.25
mail.port=465
mail.protocol=smtps
mail.username=dms@abc.com
mail.password=abc
mail.encoding=UTF-8
mail.from.default=dms@abc.com
mail.from.enabled=false
mail.smtps.starttls.enable=false # I tried this with 'true' also, same result
mail.smtps.auth=false # I tried this with 'true' also, same result

with Alfresco, when I tried to send an email (via New task workflow) I get the following error,

ERROR [org.alfresco.repo.action.executer.MailActionExecuter] [mailAsyncAction1] Failed to send email to [sam] : org.springframework.mail.MailSendException: Mail server connection failed; nested exception is javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: 192.168.150.25, port: 465; nested exception is: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target. Failed messages: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: 192.168.150.25, port: 465; nested exception is: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target; message exceptions (1) are:Failed message 1: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: 192.168.150.25, port: 465; nested exception is: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Then, I tried the following command,
openssl s_client -host 192.168.150.25 -port 465 -showcerts < <(echo QUIT) | openssl x509 -in - -out /home/dmsuser/mail.mycompany.com.crt

for which I got the following response,
[root@localhost security]# openssl s_client -host 192.168.150.25 -port 465 -showcerts < <(echo QUIT) | openssl x509 -in - -out /home/dmsuser/mail.mycompany.com.crt
Error opening Certificate -
140649779169168:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:402:fopen('-','r')
140649779169168:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:404:
unable to load certificate
depth=0 OU = Zimbra Collaboration Server, CN = drivegreen.lk
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 OU = Zimbra Collaboration Server, CN = drivegreen.lk
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
DONE

As far as I understand, smtp server doesn't have a certificate?

Could you please help me with the correct SMTP configuration?

PS: also, I've tried connecting a gmail account and that works fine. Below are gmail settings,

mail.host=smtp.gmail.com
mail.port=465
mail.protocol=smtps
mail.username=abc@gmail.com
mail.password=xxxxxx
mail.from.default=abc@abc.com
mail.from.enabled=false
mail.smtps.starttls.enable=true
mail.smtps.auth=true

Really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks a lot in advance!

4 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Connecting Zimbra SMTP server for outgoing emails: Strange Behavior

You are using custom certificates for your Zimbra server, so you need to enable Alfresco to validate the SMTP server certificates when using SMTPS. For GMail, this is not an issue, since they use a trusted cert from a global CA, but your certificates are probably created using a custom CA or a public CA not in the default Java truststore. So you need either to start Alfresco with a custom truststore using the appropriate Java -D flag, or import the CA certificate into the cacert truststore of Java.

200million

Thank you afaust for the detailed answer.
I will try that and update here

best regards,

200million

Dear afaust, 

I need to get onething clarified here,

I understand that Java cannot validate the SMTP server because it's created with CA which is not in truststore.

However, how come Thuderbird client installed on the same server as alfresco works without a problem? doesn't that get affected by this problem?

One anwer could be that, Thunderbird might be having the Root Certificate for the SMTP server certirficate. Is there any possibility of me taking that root certificate from Thunderbird and import in to the Java Truststore?

please pardom me if i'm asking a dumb question.

All the best for the new year!

DavidJM

Has anyone got this to work? Any tips?