contentstore.deleted updated when no files removed from trashcan

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattm
Member II

contentstore.deleted updated when no files removed from trashcan

Hi We are currently running a old version of alfresco version 4.0d which I am looking to virtualise and upgrade ut in doing so noticed that we are starting to run out of space, i have read a couple of the guides on the trascan and contentstore.deleted to see about removing the contents to increase the space before the upgrade.

However one thing that is concerning is thier are some things in contentstore.deleted ranging from 2011 to 2018, my  concern is that speaking to the last person who dealt with alfresco he is telling me he was told never to touch teh trashcan and hence has stuff going back to 2015 however if nothing is being removed the trashcan how is contentstore.deleted being updated?

I was under the impression that contentstore.deleted should only be updated when files are ophaned by being removed from the trashcan? and then only after 14 days.

I guess my question is, is there anything I should be concerned about before pruning contentstore.deleted like files to check to make sure it is actually working as expected?

Matt

6 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: contentstore.deleted updated when no files removed from trashcan

Probably this figure can help: GitHub - keensoft/alfresco-deleted-content-store-cleaner: Alfresco Deleted Content Store Cleaner job 

In "contentstore.deleted" you have files abandoned and also files that are going to be abandoned in 30 days. So the safest is to save anything younger than 30 days.

Hyland Developer Evangelist
mattm
Member II

That is good to know about keeping the content for 30 days but should the contentstore.deleted be having files moved to it if nothing is being deleted from the trashcan?

I would have thought if nothing is deleted out of the trashcan then nothing new should be getting added into the contentstore.deleted directory?

angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

If you follow the graphic you'll see that content in the trashcan is in contentstore, not in contentstore.deleted.

Hyland Developer Evangelist
mattm
Member II

Hi this is my point, nothing is getting deleted from the alfresco trashcan yet I can see files appearing in contentstore.deleted 

I have files in the trashcan from 2015 22 pages worth, yet the contentstore.deleted has files in it from August 2018.

cesarista
Customer

Hi Matt:

Take into consideration that files deleted via API, can be deleted without passing through thrashcan (using aspect sys:temporary for example), so it is possible that they "appear" in contentstore.deleted 

HINT: This is done for example, when doing massive deletion processes on your repo, and you do not want an extra step in the thrascan

Regards.

--C.

mattm
Member II

Thanks for the reply, as far as I am aware, we have no API integration, its just used as document repo and everything is manually added by the users and as it is version 4, only the main admin has access to remove files from the trashcan.

Which was my worry, as I am also not sure if we are backing up the contentstore.deleted as part of our backup process. (I am going to check this when I am back in the office on Monday.)