Creating folder with a leading dot (.) makes folder as hidden folder

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitbatta01

Creating folder with a leading dot (.) makes folder as hidden folder

Jump to solution

I have started using alfresco 6 months ago to integrate it with an application using OpenCMIS java client. I have started using alfresco content services 5.2 community version for development.

Recently, we have installed Alfresco content services community 6.1.1 to another machine and we have encountered an issue, which is not occurring on the older version. 

When you upload a folder/file with a name starting with a dot("."), it is marked as Hidden (P:sys: hidden). Due to which it is not visible in the integrated application, CMIS workbench or in Share application. But, when I use a query on cmis workbench, folder/file is shown in results. 

This is not occurring on the older version. I have checked "What's new in Alfresco Content Services" documents also. But, I didn't figure out any change. 

I have found via CMIS workbench that P:sys:hidden aspect is enabled on Alfresco on the both installation. 

I found an issue ticket on Alfresco issue tracker [MNT-18787] CMIS: Creating content with a leading dot. But it is resolved as "Won't Fix".#

I would expect it would be a configurational fix. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Rohit

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Creating folder with a leading dot (.) makes folder as hidden folder

Jump to solution

Not really. The behaviour of Alfresco itself (the internal handling of leading dots) is the same on any operating system. The only / major difference may depend on which client is used for WebDAV et al, as different clients (operating systems / applications) will treat network mapped drives in their own way - some may use temporary files with leading dots, some may not.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

The issue https://issues.alfresco.com/jira/browse/MNT-14151 has introduced a configuration property to specify that the default hidden rule for leading dot-named files should be disabled. That property is named cmis.disable.hidden.leading.period.files - its default value is false, which is why by default those files will be hidden. Though this property will only affect how the file is presented via CMIS - in Share et all it will still be treated as hidden.

I am not sure how you have missed that feature in the older Alfresco version(s) - it has been around since ca. 2011 to deal with various file server (CIFS / FTP / WebDAV) issues due to operating systems / applications using mapped drives playing shell games with temporary hidden files during renames, and also creating metafiles, such as .DS_STORE or similar.

rohitbatta01

Jump to solution

Hi Axel Faust‌, 

Thanks for your reply.

I have verified "alfresco-repository-5.2.g.jar", which is used in the older version and "alfresco-repository-7.22.jar" which is used in the later version 6.1.1. You are correct both have "cmis.disable.hidden.leading.period.files" property set to false in the repository.properties file. 

Is it a difference in behavior due to disabling of some features, as I have disabled some modules via alfresco-global.properties. 

Below, I am uploading customized alfresco-global.properties.

security.anyDenyDenies=false
smart.folders.enabled=false
system.enableTimestampPropagation=false
system.thumbnail.generate=false
system.usages.enabled=false
replication.enabled=false
audit.enabled=false
cifs.enabled=false
ftp.enabled=false
transferservice.receiver.enabled=false
audit.alfresco-access.enabled=false
audit.filter.alfresco-access.default.enabled=false
home.folder.creation.eager=false
alfresco.index.transformContent=false

alfresco.doPermissionChecks=false
system.acl.maxPermissionCheckTimeMillis=10000
system.acl.maxPermissionChecks=1000
server.maxusers=-1
system.usages.clearBatchSize=0

Can it be due to operating systems as the older version is installed on Windows and later version is installed on Linux?

Thanks, 

Rohit

afaust
Master

Jump to solution

Not really. The behaviour of Alfresco itself (the internal handling of leading dots) is the same on any operating system. The only / major difference may depend on which client is used for WebDAV et al, as different clients (operating systems / applications) will treat network mapped drives in their own way - some may use temporary files with leading dots, some may not.

rohitbatta01

Jump to solution

Thanks, Axel Faust

I also think that it might be due to different clients (operating systems), as you mentioned above. As of now, I have added a property to override the default value.