Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miroslav
Customer

Docker vs classic (ansible) deployment in production

Jump to solution

Hi,

is anyone using a docker deployment in production (all-in-one)? What are the biggest problems you had to solve? Can high availability and platform updates be handled easily in case of docker deployment? What are the advantages of docker installation over classic installation? I can only think of the simplicity of deployment (blackbox), on the other hand, it is not easy to make changes in configuration (everything has to be persisted).

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: Docker vs classic (ansible) deployment in production

Jump to solution

IMO upgrading, resources assignation, easy scaling up and re-installing process are great points to use Docker Compose.

But, obviously, if you feel more comfortable with classic installation, there is nothing bad to use this method.

Hyland Developer Evangelist

View solution in original post

3 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

If you are planning to deploy Alfresco in production with Docker Compose, don't use the all-in-one provided by Maven.

Package your customizations and use something like https://github.com/Alfresco/alfresco-docker-installer

This approach will give you control on resources and storage.

You can also generate different deployments for ACS 6.1, 6.2 and 7.0 so you can compare the differences.

miroslav
Customer

Jump to solution

@angelborroy Thank you for answer! I'm considering whether to use a docker or a classic installation. Classic installation is more transparent to me, I know what's going on and I have direct access to configuration of installed software. I'm looking for arguments to use a docker instead.

Is there any significant benefit? Eg in High availability.

angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

IMO upgrading, resources assignation, easy scaling up and re-installing process are great points to use Docker Compose.

But, obviously, if you feel more comfortable with classic installation, there is nothing bad to use this method.