does alfresco 5.2 support multilingual?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sudarshansingha

does alfresco 5.2 support multilingual?

does alfresco 5.2 support multilingual? Alfresco document says it supports below languages.

• US English (en)
  • German (de)
  • Spanish (es)
  • French (fr)
  • Italian (it)
  • Japanese (ja)
  • Dutch (nl)
  • Simplified Chinese (zh_CN)
  • Russian (ru)
  • Norwegian Bokmål (nb)
  • Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR

But it also has a statement saying 

"Although the interface is localized, the following components have not been localized, therefore, any strings originating from these components will be displayed in English.

• SharePoint
  • Web Quick Start
  • LibreOffice"

what does above statement means? does it have some limitations?

4 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: does alfresco 5.2 support multilingual?

I thought it is pretty clear in the text. The Share user interface has been localized in the languages listed. Some technical interfaces / integrations are not localized - out of experience I can say that some may not support localization since they don't always or consistently forward sufficient / correct information about the locale of the user / client.

So far I have not seen any issue i.e. with the SharePoint integration as a German user where the lack of localization was the cause / core problem - or even noticable.

sudarshansingha

Thank for your response. so can I safely assume that alfresco supports the listed languages from localization perspective? Users from different countries can see the texts in their respective languages when they use alfresco?

And one last question can you please clarify below paragraph in the alfresco documentation

"Although the interface is localized, the following components have not been localized, therefore, any strings originating from these components will be displayed in English.

• SharePoint
  • Web Quick Start
  • LibreOffice"
afaust
Master

Some technical interfaces / integrations are not localized - out of experience I can say that some may not support localization since they don't always or consistently forward sufficient / correct information about the locale of the user / client.

So far I have not seen any issue i.e. with the SharePoint integration as a German user where the lack of localization was the cause / core problem - or even noticable.

I thought that was clear as well.

One issue you can expect is e.g. related to the LibreOffice transformations. If you have a document with an automatically filled field (i.e. a date field), then the formatting will be in English locale, i.e. for a date it will use d/M/YYYY format instead of e.g. dd.MM.YYYY (German default).

sudarshansingha

Thanks a lot for your reply. This info helps !!!