Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
longinus
Member II

Dynamic properties

Jump to solution

Hello

I access alfresco 5.2 repository through opencmis api.

I need to be able to store key value pairs (propeties?) that are not predefined and therefore i cant add them as type properties to content model. But i would like to be able to store/modify them and query them later. Client would pass the key and service would somehow find the value for it.

Is the secondary type feature the only way to solve dynamic properties?

I will appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

Krzysztof

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpotts
Professional

Re: Dynamic properties

Jump to solution

Secondary types are not a mechanism for solving this problem. I sent a lengthy reply to this topic on the Apache Chemistry list, so I'll not repeat it here.

A short summary of my reply was: Don't use Alfresco for this. Use a more flexible persistence store.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jpotts
Professional

Jump to solution

Secondary types are not a mechanism for solving this problem. I sent a lengthy reply to this topic on the Apache Chemistry list, so I'll not repeat it here.

A short summary of my reply was: Don't use Alfresco for this. Use a more flexible persistence store.

longinus
Member II

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestions. Long term solution would be to use Solr for flexible querying. For now, i need temporary solution. 

resplin
Intermediate

Jump to solution

As Jeff said, Alfresco Content Services is a traditional ECM product that enforces consistency in your model. This will save you headaches in many use cases, but does require that you know your content model in advance.

What is your use case that causes you to want to use Alfresco for dynamic properties / key-value pairs? Why would you prefer Alfresco to a different storage solution such as a NoSQL repository?

longinus
Member II

Jump to solution

Yeah, I understand. So we have negotiated the requirements and we don't need to create properties dynamically anymore. Previously, different clients were described by different metadata. but we standardised them a bit.

Thanks for your reply.

resplin
Intermediate

Jump to solution

We have been investigating whether this is a capability we should deliver, and so I would appreciate learning more about your use case.

Do you like your solution better than the previous design, or do you still wish the product delivered dynamic properties?

longinus
Member II

Jump to solution

I think it would be useful to have this feature available.

I have DMS solution that serves different customers and each of them would send us their own specific properties.
We have negotiated requirements and we have to ask every customer to send only properties with some predefined names. It is acceptable now, but  would be nicer if we could not enforce every customer to translate their domain to our constraints.

resplin
Intermediate

Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing your use case.

longinus
Member II

Jump to solution

No worries