Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
npavlov
Active Member II

Endeless starting of Messaging subsystem

Jump to solution

I try to start tomcat with alfresco (6.0 community) and get:

2019-03-12 18:19:47,215 INFO [management.subsystems.ChildApplicationContextFactory] [localhost-startStop-1] Startup of 'ActivitiesFeed' subsystem, ID: [ActivitiesFeed, default] complete
2019-03-12 18:19:47,216 INFO [management.subsystems.ChildApplicationContextFactory] [localhost-startStop-1] Starting 'Replication' subsystem, ID: [Replication, default]
2019-03-12 18:19:47,345 INFO [management.subsystems.ChildApplicationContextFactory] [localhost-startStop-1] Startup of 'Replication' subsystem, ID: [Replication, default] complete
2019-03-12 18:19:51,543 INFO [management.subsystems.ChildApplicationContextFactory] [localhost-startStop-1] Starting 'Messaging' subsystem, ID: [Messaging, default]

What is the Messaging subsystem? I can't find it here (Subsystem categories | Alfresco Documentation )

And what should I do with this problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Endeless starting of Messaging subsystem

Jump to solution

The Messaging subsystem in Alfresco 6.1 is used for the communication with ActiveMQ for all the new, fancy out-of-process event processing functionality. It is technically speaking an optional component as Alfresco runs fine without it, and it appears someone at Alfresco forgot to implement a timeout in the attempt to connect to ActiveMQ.

You can disable the auto-start of the Messaging subsystem by configuring the following in alfresco-global.properties (or specify it as a -D parameter in a Docker scenario):

messaging.subsystem.autoStart=false

Edit: Please note the added information in an additional reply to my answer.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

The Messaging subsystem in Alfresco 6.1 is used for the communication with ActiveMQ for all the new, fancy out-of-process event processing functionality. It is technically speaking an optional component as Alfresco runs fine without it, and it appears someone at Alfresco forgot to implement a timeout in the attempt to connect to ActiveMQ.

You can disable the auto-start of the Messaging subsystem by configuring the following in alfresco-global.properties (or specify it as a -D parameter in a Docker scenario):

messaging.subsystem.autoStart=false

Edit: Please note the added information in an additional reply to my answer.

npavlov
Active Member II

Jump to solution

It was required to install ActiveMQ. But I haven't it installed.

Disabling it in alfresco-global.properties also works.

douglascrp
Advanced II

Jump to solution

Disabling the subsystem solved a problem I was facing with the Upload new version action.

Even though the action finished correctly in the repository, with the content being updated and the new version created, Share failed with a timeout, as the /api/upload webscript never sent back a response.

Once I disabled the subsystem, everything started working correctly again.

afaust
Master

Jump to solution

Since I just found out today, I have to make an addendum to my previous reply, so that people stumbling over it do not get the wrong impression. It turns out that Active MQ is used and required for ONE (1 !) small feature in Alfresco CE 6.1.2 GA: Refreshing / regenerating renditions when the content of a node changes. If the Messaging and Events subsystems are disabled, renditions will no longer be automatically refreshed.

queenjuliet
Member II

Jump to solution

For docker-compose.yml file: add -Dmessaging.subsystem.autoStart=false in the JAVA_OPTS section. 

iblanco
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Axel:

I just wonder if you know if this changed for Alfresco 7.1. Is it used for something else?

angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

You may use the Out-Of-Process SDK with Alfresco 7.1:

https://docs.alfresco.com/content-services/latest/develop/oop-ext-points/

Hyland Developer Evangelist