Extremely slow preview of txt file with remote Libreoffice server. Local process is fast

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sistemi
Active Member II

Extremely slow preview of txt file with remote Libreoffice server. Local process is fast

Hi everybody, I configured my Alfresco server to use a remote Libreoffice server specifying

ooo.host = <Ip of remote Libreoffice>

When I upload a document (.odt, .doc, .xls) in Alfresco preview and conversion works normally and it is very fast. However I noticed that if I upload a > 100KB .txt file (that Libreoffice process transforms in a multi-page document in preview, with more than 50 pages) preview and conversion process takes a very high amount of time, and the file is rendered in Alfresco in about 2 minutes. Moreover, thumbnail is not created and in alfresco.log I found this error:

"transformation failed to obey timeout limit"

If I switch back alfresco-global.properties configuration to "ooo.exe" and disable "ooo.host" the conversion and preview of the same files completes correctly in 10 seconds.

Do you have any ideas about the causes? Alfresco and Libreoffice server are on the same LAN, and the Libreoffice VM does not go on 100%CPU or RAM when converting one of those >100KB .txt files.

2 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: Extremely slow preview of txt file with remote Libreoffice server. Local process is fast

How many memory is available in LibreOffice server? Is the same amount of RAM available when using it locally in Alfresco server?

Hyland Developer Evangelist
sistemi
Active Member II

Re: Extremely slow preview of txt file with remote Libreoffice server. Local process is fast

Hi Angel, yes, the two servers have the same amount of RAM, 8GB. Moreover, on the separate Libreoffice server, there is only that process, resources are not shared with other services.