Form field validation handler issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
afielden
Active Member II

Form field validation handler issue

I'm hoping someone here can help out with this problem, because I've done everything as per the book, to use a Javascript function to validate a form field. Here's what I've done:

Altered the share-config-custom.xml file, as follows:

<forms>

<dependencies>
    <js src="js/date-range-validator.js" />
  </dependencies>

<form>

<appearance>

<field id="myfield:dfc-start-date">
      <constraint-handlers>
        <constraint type="MANDATORY" validation-handler="myspace.forms.validation.checkDateRangeValidity" event="keyup"/>
        </constraint-handlers>
    </field>

</form>  

</forms>

Created a date-range-validator.js file, which I placed in src/main/assembly/web/js

if (typeof fbs == "undefined" || !fbs) {
  var fbs = {};
}

myspace.forms.validation.checkDateRangeValidity = function checkDateRangeValidity(field, args, event, form, silent, message) {
  var valid = true;

alert('Checked date ' + field);

return valid;
}

However, when the form is displayed I get an exception because "myspace" isn't defined, so it looks like my validator code isn't being loaded. I've tried placing the Javascript file in a variety of locations within the project, but the problem still persists.

12 Replies
sanjaybandhniya
Intermediate

Re: Form field validation handler issue

if you are using sdk3  then your javascript file should be at share/src/main/resources/META-INF/js location.

if you are using sdk  then your javascript file should be at share/src/main/amp/web/js location.

Thanks,

Sanjay

afielden
Active Member II

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for your help here and on SO, I appreciate it. Yes this is very odd, I have tried placing my Javascript at both those locations, but so far the validator hasn't shown up in the browser.

sanjaybandhniya
Intermediate

does your form loaded properly?

afielden
Active Member II

Ok let's try something else - how about attaching a validate function to the form's submit button? Is this possible using the form specification in the share-config-custom.xml file?

afielden
Active Member II

Yes, the form is displayed correctly. Just encounters an error when I click on the field to be validated.

sanjaybandhniya
Intermediate

using share-config-custom.xml we can not do that.

jpotts
Professional

Did you declare your client-side JavaScript file as a dependency in share-config-custom.xml?

<config>
  <forms>
    <dependencies>
      <js src="/resources/someco-core-share/js/some-validator.js"/>
    </dependencies>
  </forms>
</config>

That assumes your file is in src/main/resources/META-INF/resources/someco-core-share/js/some-validator.js.

afielden
Active Member II

Hi Jeff. Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. Yes I do declare the dependency in share-config-custom.xml.

Just to double check, I created the same directory structure you suggest, and get the same problem. When I try to use my form, the browser's Javascript console displays an error because of the undefined "someco-core-share". Looking at the collection of Javascript sources, I don't see my validator listed.

So the form is trying to use my validator function, but the browser doesn't know anything about it.

jpotts
Professional

As I pointed out in your cross-post on SO, you may be missing the enclosing "config" element which should be a parent of "forms". Can you confirm whether or not that is the case?

Also, an alternative to using share-config-custom.xml is to put all of your Share config into a Share module extension. I have a working example of a similar validator that used that approach, so if you don't get this working as-is, you might try that approach instead (although it really shouldn't make a difference).