Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syedjunaid
Active Member II

Get a list of downloaded Documents in Alfresco

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

I am Using Alfresco 6 (dockerized). Is there any REST API  or Java API available that would help me get the list of downloaded documents in Alfresco? I checked the audit trail rest api but it doesn't get me any entries when a document is downloaded. 

Kindly refer to any add-on or webscript that would help me getting my results.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Get a list of downloaded Documents in Alfresco

Jump to solution

There is no ReST / Java API to get a simple list of downloaded documents. Downloading documents can mean anything, from a file transparently downlaoded to be rendered in the UI (PDF preview), transparently downloaded for editing (Online Edit), checked for existence (HTTP HEAD request on any of the download URLs), or actual download. It is next to impossible (server side) to differentiate any of those and create reliable download logs.
The audit trail can get you CONTENT_READ events, but such events can occur with various types of interactions which may not be related to downloads.

I am not aware of any add-on that would provide a (reliable) mechanism for logging downloads.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

There is no ReST / Java API to get a simple list of downloaded documents. Downloading documents can mean anything, from a file transparently downlaoded to be rendered in the UI (PDF preview), transparently downloaded for editing (Online Edit), checked for existence (HTTP HEAD request on any of the download URLs), or actual download. It is next to impossible (server side) to differentiate any of those and create reliable download logs.
The audit trail can get you CONTENT_READ events, but such events can occur with various types of interactions which may not be related to downloads.

I am not aware of any add-on that would provide a (reliable) mechanism for logging downloads.

Syedjunaid
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Dear @afaust ,

Thanks for the explanation and I also had the same thought with the audit trail of CONTENT_READ events as you said it occurs with various types if interactions.