Grant user permission to sharing folder within period time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreamanglekaka
Member II

Grant user permission to sharing folder within period time.

Hi Guys,

I would ask once case regarding User Permission on Sharing folder.

Because we have a number of folders need to manage in File Server, and a number of Users need to work on several sharing folders. So it's hard to manage them when they are always IN-OUT on a lot of folders with short time.

Let's say: User A need access to Folder B in one month, then he will leave. (I should be removed him out of Folder B when he left)

So there are any ways that We can do a workflow or automation for Sharing folder.

E.g: There will have a form to chose which User that I need to grant permission. After I grant permission, next choice will chose when user will leave. Afterward the system will automatically remove that user out of sharing folder.

Hopefully, you guys can understand what I said Smiley Happy

Thanks for your respond!

4 Replies
jpotts
Professional

Re: Grant user permission to sharing folder within period time.

Yes, I understand what you said, and what you explained sounds reasonable. But I am not understanding what the question is. The approach you outlined sounds fine. A workflow can do what you propose. You could also do it with custom metadata and a scheduled action.

Where are you stuck? What is the problem you are seeing?

dreamanglekaka
Member II

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I'm looking for a tool that work based on workflow, not manual work (human job) anymore. This tool able grant permission and remove permission on scheduled action.

My stuck: I'm managing a hundred folders with many levels of sub-folder. I have to do a boring job that grant permission for users and remove their permission on scheduled. 30 cases per week, so hard to remember and remove the permission on time.

jpotts
Professional

Workflow is a reasonable approach. There is nothing out-of-the-box that will do exactly what you want. You're going to have to write the workflow yourself or find someone to do it for you.

afaust
Master

An alternative to a workflow could be a simple, scheduled job. The assignment of a permission to a user on a specific folder could be recorded as metadata on an independent "assignment record" node, and a scheduled job could then use the Alfresco query functionality to look up any assignments where the "validTo" metadata is past a specific point, undo the permission assignment and then delete the record node.

Similar to a workflow, this would entail custom implementation because there is no existing functionality like this. The upside of this is that you do not need to learn / know Activiti / workflow development, though some might argue it is also a downside that you would be implementing scheduling logic that you sort-of get for free with the workflow engine...