Help deploying ACS 6: production & test env

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dadyodoo
Member II

Help deploying ACS 6: production & test env

I have a production server and a test server in a local network, and I want to deploy Alfresco 6 (ACS) in production in the production server and in test-dev environment in the server tests, but all is in local network no cloud.

anyone can help!

12 Replies
kintu_barot

Re: Help deploying ACS 6: production & test env

You can visit Deploying | Alfresco Documentation for the deployment.

Regards,

Kintu

ContCentric

Regards,
Kintu
dadyodoo
Member II

thanks for your answer, but i found that docker-compose is not for

production, and that kubernities is for clustered machines (cloud),

should i use docker for local deployment then I use zip distributions

for Alfresco 6?

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 3:06 PM kintu.barot@contcentric.com <

jpotts
Professional

Why do you say Docker Compose is not for production?

dadyodoo
Member II

... using Docker Compose. This deployment method is only supported for development and test environments from Deploying using Docker Compose | Alfresco Documentation 

jpotts
Professional

Re: Help deploying ACS 6: production & test  env

Interesting. I think if you are a paying customer you should log a ticket confirming if you will be unsupported if you run using Docker Compose. I really doubt that will be the case. Some customers actually have no choice. For example, AWS GovCloud does not yet support Amazon EKS, so Kubernetes is not an option for Alfresco's federal government customers. That leaves either Compose or manually-installed components, and I can promise you support would rather those customers use containers than manually installs.

dadyodoo
Member II

Thank you for your reply,
I have another question Mr Jeff Potts, it is possible that with a single installation of Alfresco 6 Enterprise I can do two instances; one for the production on a Host in a local machine, and the other instance is for the test on another Host of another machine on the local network, or it is necessary to install two installations of Alfresco 6 and configure each one for testing and the other for production ?

binduwavell
Partner

The compose file provided in acs-deployment is not supported for production without some hardenimg effort. Like Jeff, I would doubt there is a strict ban on using compose itself. Worth creating a support ticket to confirm. 

Jeff, if I remember correctly GovRAMP does not allow Docker deployments without a specific exception being approved. In which case you can likely get an exception for K8s as well. Then use something like kop to deploy and manage your own K8s cluster. 

My understanding to date is that it is not straight forward to maintain and secure a production K8s cluster. Guidance I’ve had is that customers should have strong in house K8s resources before attempting to deploy production systems on it. 

jpotts
Professional

Re: Help deploying ACS 6: production & test  env

I actually filed a ticket with support for one of my customers who had this same question. Support's response was basically that customers are going to run Alfresco in a variety of ways and they aren't going to refuse to support a customer based on their deployment option. If an issue cannot be reproduced using K8s, though, then it may be up to the customer to prove the issue isn't due to how they've deployed.

Support also said that they have not done any performance testing using Docker Compose.

jamilnour
Established Member

Hello Jeff,

I am a paid customer and I am facing the same problem. After I worked with the support to fully install our customized Alfresco solution to AWS EKS (EFS) we faced an issue to upgrade the installation using K8s (Helm update). Support couldn't help me and answer my question for weeks (They told me they need to ask) then they closed the case.

We did our development and test using containers and right now we don't know how to proceed for our SaaS production service using Alfresco

I feel Alfresco is lost on this topic especially when we can read from the documentation:

Alfresco Content Services is designed to be deployed using Docker images that are packaged in Helm charts (as a reference or basis for production deployments), or Docker Compose (for test and development environments only); there is no GUI installer.” 

So no docker (as per the documentation) and no K8s (as per my installation with the support)

Is zip the only solution? The problem is that we saw our solution working well using K8s on AWS EKS until we tried to upgrade

Any comment will be appreciated

Thanks