Hi i would like to know how to deal with numbering problems like 1.1.1 and after that 1.1.1.10 follows instead of 1.1.1.2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dondolol
Member II

Hi i would like to know how to deal with numbering problems like 1.1.1 and after that 1.1.1.10 follows instead of 1.1.1.2

2 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Hi i would like to know how to deal with numbering problems like 1.1.1 and after that 1.1.1.10 follows instead of 1.1.1.2

I really don't like these archaic ("standards-based") folder structure schemes that require numbering to enforce a fixed order. The problem you are having is that you want to have sort work on a purely numerical basis while you are actually including the numbering as a prefix in an alphanumeric text field that is of course sorted lexicographically. The easiest way to fix this is to simply pad your numbering to use a consistent width, e.g.

• 1.1.01 Policies...
  • 1.1.02 Calendaring...
  • 1.1.10 Delegation of authority

The alternative would be more complex. You'd need to define a model that adds an additional "sort order" priority to all of your folders, and use that property as the sort condition in the UI (you can add alternative sort order field selections to the UI via configuration in share-config-custom.xml). Though I am not sure to what extent the customisability of the regular Share UI extends to the Records Management module that it seems you are using - it might very well be much more static (again, due to "standards-based" concepts).

dondolol
Member II

Re: Hi i would like to know how to deal with numbering problems like 1.1.1 and after that 1.1.1.10 follows instead of 1.1.1.2

thanks alot very much helpful