how can I rsync two servers together so when a user drops a file alfresco drive on the local machine that it will update both servers and databases?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjenk
Member II

how can I rsync two servers together so when a user drops a file alfresco drive on the local machine that it will update both servers and databases?

10 Replies
mehe
Senior Member II

Re: how can I rsync two servers together so when a user drops a file alfresco drive on the local machine that it will update both servers and databases?

I don't know if I really understand what you want to achieve. Alfresco Enterprise has a clustering option, that will keep the cluster nodes in sync. But this is a feature of the Enterprise Edition, not of Alfresco Community.

Another possibility would be to create a replication job, so one Alfresco Repository is master and replicates all content of a folder to the slave repo.

http://docs.alfresco.com/community/concepts/admintools-replication-config.html

But I'm not sure if I got your question fully...

bjenk
Member II

Re: how can I rsync two servers together so when a user drops a file alfresco drive on the local machine that it will update both servers and databases?

The company I work for has an ancient version of alfresco. They did not want to do the upgrade method. So Goal is to have both Alfresco programs running at the same time and move customer over in groups. They want to be able to upload a document using a network drive with the files inside of it. The problem is that the company wants to have only one network drive with two different alfresco programs. I want to sync two servers together so when they drop a file on the network drive that it will populate both databases with the data.   The old alfresco program is on one server, and the newest version is on a different server. Both backends are using Linux.

jpotts
Professional

There is nothing out-of-the-box that will do what you want to achieve. You are going to have to integrate using a third-party solution. Take a look at Apache ManifoldCF or Simflofy.

bjenk
Member II

Doing a rsync with the servers won't do anything?

jpotts
Professional

You'll have to be more specific. Are you talking about doing an rsync of the content store diretory where Alfresco keeps its binary files ($ALFRESCO_HOME/alf_data/contentstore) or are you talking about doing an rsync between the Alfresco repositories via CIFS?

If you are talking about the former, you would also have to copy the database and the search indices. And this would only work for identical Alfresco versions.

If you are talking about the latter, that might work, although performance will likely be awful, and you will only get the file content. You will lose any metadata that is associated with the files in Alfresco.

bjenk
Member II

Correct me if I am wrong: I want to do it Alfresco Repositories via CIFS.  I want to update both applications with new documents or files at the same time, but only have to drop the file into one network drive.

mehe
Senior Member II

hmmm, if you use alfresco like a cifs-fileserver you surely can rsync the two cifs shares. But... I think, I don't understand your setup... nor your intention.. sorry Smiley Sad

jpotts
Professional

Yes, you can do that, but you will lose any metadata that is associated. If you are just managing files and no additional metadata, it should work.

Depending on the volume and the size of the files, you may see some really poor performance.

bjenk
Member II