how to access alfresco community edition repository from windows explorer ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ankitmodi89
Member II

how to access alfresco community edition repository from windows explorer ?

How do I mount or access via UNC from Windows 10 explorer the repository of alfresco community edition 5.1 ?

Alfresco webdav does not support versioning hence looking for CIFS or CMIS option.

CMIS workbench application is working but how do I access the files from windows explorer ?

How to enable CIFS on alfresco server and how to access the files from windows explorer ?

5 Replies
ankitmodi89
Member II

Re: how to access alfresco community edition repository from windows explorer ?

Update 1 :

Does Alfresco CIFS protocol support versioning or no ?

ankitmodi89
Member II

Update 2 :

Elaborating the problem further :

Objective : Access files stored in the alfresco community edition repository from windows 10 explorer via mounting or UNC path. Features required :

- add, remove, rename, copy, move, update any file or folder
- if we edit a file directly or replace the file it should create a new version
- file locking is also required
- instant 2 way sync required
- folder hierarchy is very deep, long & huge
- need only 1 windows access i.e mounting only 1 network folder or accessing only 1 UNC path

Challenge : Windows 10 explorer.exe does not support long paths and long file names yet hence 3rd party solution is the only option as per our research. We tried many 3rd party FTP, Webdav, CMIS free and paid tools like AOS, BitKinex, Winscp, crossFTP, Teracopy, CmiSync, webdrive, mountain duck, filezilla, direct net drive, scooter softwares, long path tool, but they lack in one of the areas when tested and no response yet from the respective companies.

What we have not tried yet :

- Dokan / Dokany
- developing customised software or powershell script
- https://www.filesys.org/
- https://www.jcifs.org/
- https://www.tsgrp.com/2017/08/14/alfresco-versioning-how-to-make-it-better-with-the-tsg-chain-versio...

cristinamr
Advanced

Hi @ankitmodi89 

Please send me an email to info@venzia.es with all the details and we will review your case.

Cheers,

Cristina.

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc
heiko_robert

I would give fileserverNG for Alfresco / filesys.org a try. Even if they still have a limitation in the filepath length on SMB2/3 they may fix that for you for a fair fee ...

I really could recommend them (at least in their paid version) running on Alfresco 6.1-7.0 CE.

If I remember correctly Windows 10 dropped the filepath limitation on NTFS and CIFS. At least NetApp has some documentation to modify the server part on allow longer paths on CIFS to be used with latest win10 systems.

gkspencer
Member II

Hi,

The fileserverNG Alfresco plugin adds support for SMB2/SMB3 protocols, and also has support for versioning with access to previous file versions (if the file has the versioning aspect) via the Windows Explorer -> Properties -> Previous Versions tab.

The path limit for SMB2 should be at least 32Kb with Unicode paths. I could do some tests of that if you give me some sample paths.

With the fileServersNG SMB2 file server it would be possible to have additional file shares that are mapped to a point lower in the filesystem tree, this shouldn't be too difficult to implement, which could also cut the path length down.

The fileServersNG plugin can be downloaded from the filesys.org website. There are versions for Alfresco 5.x, 6.x and 7.x.