How to create "My tasks" view for the simple workflows?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
upforsin

How to create "My tasks" view for the simple workflows?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I created a simple workflow based on rules and folders. Now I'm trying to create a "My tasks" smart folder that will show nodes with the app:simpleworkflow aspect.  The problem is that listed files from that smart folder do not have "Approve" and "Reject" actions which makes it kind of useless. Is there any workaround for this problem?

I'm just trying to create an alternative for the "My tasks" dashlet.

howkymike
Alfresco Developer
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EddieMay
Alfresco Employee

Re: Document actions are missing while using smart folders

Jump to solution

Hi @upforsin 

Smart folders are a bit like virtual folders - they are based on a search criteria or similar (for example, file type). So files don't really reside under a smart folder, hence they can't be moved or added to a smart folder. For example, if I created a smart folder based on file type .pdf, it wouldn't make sense to allow me to add .jpg files to that folder. Hence it also doesn't make sense to allow me to remove .pdf files from that folder either - otherwise the whole logic of the smart folder would be broken.

Let's try another example. Imagine you had a document type called "contract" and a smart folder that showed all "contract" documents. To remove a certain contract document from that smart folder, you would have to change the document type to something other than "contract". In order to remove or add files, you have to do that in the physical folder - so, if you want to add a new "contract" document, you would have to add the contract document to a physical folder and it would then be visible in the "contracts" smart folder because of it's document type.

HTH

Digital Community Manager, Alfresco Software.
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
abhinavmishra14
Advanced

Jump to solution

Smart folders has limited list of actions visible. It is not like general folders.

See the documentation here: https://docs.alfresco.com/content-services/6.1/config/smart-folders/sf-faq/

~Abhinav
(ACSCE, AWS SAA, Azure Admin)
upforsin

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply @abhinavmishra14, that is exactly what I am talking about.

The question is if there is any workaround for that. Or, is there any other idea that would provide the user access to view all "tasks" in a single place?

EDIT. I've added the evaluator, and the actions display correctly but when I click the "Accept" action, the popup message says "Workflow action could not be completed." (as expected because as far as I understand files from smart folders can not be moved which is very sad)

howkymike
Alfresco Developer
EddieMay
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @upforsin 

Smart folders are a bit like virtual folders - they are based on a search criteria or similar (for example, file type). So files don't really reside under a smart folder, hence they can't be moved or added to a smart folder. For example, if I created a smart folder based on file type .pdf, it wouldn't make sense to allow me to add .jpg files to that folder. Hence it also doesn't make sense to allow me to remove .pdf files from that folder either - otherwise the whole logic of the smart folder would be broken.

Let's try another example. Imagine you had a document type called "contract" and a smart folder that showed all "contract" documents. To remove a certain contract document from that smart folder, you would have to change the document type to something other than "contract". In order to remove or add files, you have to do that in the physical folder - so, if you want to add a new "contract" document, you would have to add the contract document to a physical folder and it would then be visible in the "contracts" smart folder because of it's document type.

HTH

Digital Community Manager, Alfresco Software.
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!