How to disable edit permissions on files that a user does not own (in Shared Files)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adrian2895
Member II

How to disable edit permissions on files that a user does not own (in Shared Files)?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm trying Alfresco out, in order to check if it's suitable for my company, and there is something I do not like: Users are able to edit any accessible file in shared files.

This is how I have set it up:

1. I have created a group named "students".
  2. I have created two users: "Adrian" and "Paul".
  3. I have assigned those two users to the group "students".
  4. I have created a new folder in Shared Files, and I have edited its permissions in order to make it available for anyone who is in "students" group only (with the Collaborator role).
  5. I have logged in as "Adrian", and I have uploaded a file inside the folder.
  6. I have logged in as "Paul", but that user is able to edit the file which was uploaded by "Adrian":
    Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 16.13.16.png

Is there any way disable those options for users who do not own a file?  

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fedorow
Senior Member II

Re: How to disable edit permissions on files that a user does not own (in Shared Files)?

Jump to solution

The default roles described in documentation. For example the permissions on content are in the table - Content permissions 

In addition, Alfresco custom roles can be created with a lot of combinations of different permissions:

Permissions and roles Extension Point

View solution in original post

4 Replies
fedorow
Senior Member II

Re: How to disable edit permissions on files that a user does not own (in Shared Files)?

Jump to solution

Shared folder by default have permissions for EVERYONE as Coordinator - full access. You can change it or remove inherit for your new folder in Shared Files. But as Coordinator of Shared folder EVERYONE can change this permission to any.

So use sites, as a natural way to manage collaboration in Alfresco. 

Adrian2895
Member II

Jump to solution

@fedorow wrote:

Shared folder by default have permissions for EVERYONE as Coordinator - full access. You can change it or remove inherit for your new folder in Shared Files. But as Coordinator of Shared folder EVERYONE can change this permission to any.

So use sites, as a natural way to manage collaboration in Alfresco. 

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have created a new site, and I have added "students" group as collaborator, but users still have edit permissions over a file they do not own.

Maybe my main message was misunderstood... I want to disable "Edit properties", "Upload new version", and "Start Workflow" options for those users who have not uploaded the file. So if "Adrian" uploads X file, only "Adrian" should have those options, since he has uploaded the file. 

I hope I have explained correctly what I need now...

fedorow
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

The default roles described in documentation. For example the permissions on content are in the table - Content permissions 

In addition, Alfresco custom roles can be created with a lot of combinations of different permissions:

Adrian2895
Member II

Jump to solution

@fedorow wrote:

I have just checked both links. Apparently, the best role for what I wanted is Contributor. I do not see the need of creating a custom one for now. I am accepting your answer as the solution. Thanks for your help and have a good day! Smiley Happy