How to use newly created core to store and get the indexes?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sachindac75

How to use newly created core to store and get the indexes?

I have created a new core in alfresco.That is showing in solr admin pannel.But that is not coming in node browser window.can anyone tell me how to get there and how to use the core to store the index and files.

11 Replies
cesarista
Customer

Re: How to use newly created core to store and get the indexes?

AFAIK, I think this is not so straight foward.

By default, Alfresco repository is using by default two cores for indexing in SOLR, alfresco core for "live content", and archive core for the "archive content". Each core needs a definition of an schema (schema.xml), and its corresponding configuration (solrconfig.xml and solrcore.properties). Not only the creation via SOLR interface.

Even if you configure additional cores in SOLR (some advanced cases may require it), this is not related with Node browser, which it is going to show you some kind of logical and hierarchical structure of the repository stored in Alfresco database.

Take in consideration that SOLR is an external search and indexing engine. SOLR cores may help to define data structure needed for indexing and searching content and the way of accesing it via SOLR API when querying, but not a direct change in Alfresco interfaces.

Regards.

--C.

sachindac75

Thanks to reply @Cesar Capillas  

is there something name solr (lucene) collections that we can implement in alfresco solr to get better performance?

cesarista
Customer

Yes, collections are part of the SOLR terminology. When you setup a SOLR cluster you can define different logical indices splitted in shards, between different SOLR nodes/machines. When you have only one server setup it is basically a core. Sharding may be a recommended practice when you have more than +50 million documents for example.

SolrTerminology - Solr Wiki 

For obtaining better SOLR performance (in indexing and searching), you can try first with these recommendations:

http://beecon.buzz/2017/assets/files/F23/Alfresco_Best_Practices_BC2017.pdf 

https://community.alfresco.com/people/lcabaceira/blog/2017/04/26/alfresco-best-practices 

Regards.

--C.

sachindac75

thanks ‌ Someone told me that instead of collections i can use sharding.Is there any restriction performing sharding. I am using alfresco-5.2 and solr4 in same environment

cesarista
Customer

Sharding is the way a collection is splitted in a number of shards and replicated in several SOLR nodes. I read about this feature in Alfresco Enterprise (aka Content Services), but I'm not completely sure if this is possible for Community Edition (I did not test it yet). I think it is possible, although the setup will be more manual. Maybe Axel Faust‌ can confirm it. By the way, it is clear that you can not use Admin Console or JMX for registering shards if using Alfresco Community.

Regards.

--C.

sachindac75

can you verify that sharding and collections both are different ?because i am confuse in both.if different so please tell me how to create collections  in alfresco solr and how can alfresco consume .?

cesarista
Customer

AFAIK, a collection is a complete logical index and it is made of one or more shards (i.e parts). Please check the links above for familiarizing with SOLR terminology and the corresponding Alfresco documentation.

Solr sharding | Alfresco Documentation 

Regards.

--C.

sachindac75

Thanks

sachindac75

can we use solr4 s solrCloud?