I want to know what is the best or the simplest for the company's needs.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josebarr18
Member II

I want to know what is the best or the simplest for the company's needs.

Is there really a big difference between "alfresco-content-services-community-full-installer-6.0.2.1-ea-win-x64" and both containerized and non-containerized versions today?

I simply want to install alfresco on a Windows server either 2016 or 2019, in the simplest way. So I don't know whether to use a full 2017 installer or do it manually with tomcat etc, or with docker compose. What do you suggest? I'll appreciate your answer.

5 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: I want to know what is the best or the simplest for the company's needs.

Currently the best and simplest approach is to use Docker Compose.

Hyland Developer Evangelist
josebarr18
Member II

I understand mister. Only where "I am" they mention that they don't want to use docker to deploy it, because "docker" is for playing, so I don't agree.

Also, use the version of alfresco the "installer" from 6.0 from 2017, if it does its job, I could use it without a problem, right?

On the other hand, if I wanted to configure ldap if it is in docker compose, it is done from an interface or I have to navigate through the files as before with: alfresco-globa.properties

cristinamr
Advanced

Good morning, Jose.

I wouldn't recommend you to use an Alfresco version from 2017. It's too old! You will miss a lot of new functionallities and security patchs.

If in your company doesn't like to use Docker, check the diferent options you have available to install Alfresco. Maybe there is one that can fit with your company policies.

Cheers,

Cristina.

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc
josebarr18
Member II

Thanks cristinamr and angelborroy by the support, i'll take your advice and ill to do a meeting with my team to talk about it.

atTheBeach
Active Member II

You should go for a more recent (7.4) version. The Ansible install is pretty straightforward (on Linux, anyway; I don't do Windows). There are a couple of relatively minor issues, which you can sort out with a few hours of googling. The AOS (MS Office) integration doesn't work out-of-the-box, which will take some more time to fix. You should be able to get a usable system in a couple of days.

The 'manual' install is much harder. You could easily spend a couple of weeks getting this right. There are lots of instructions on the web, but they're generally conflicting, and mostly not helpful. You should do an Ansible install first to give yourself a target. I use the manual install because it gives full control, and I need to integrate with lots of other stuff.

I don't use Docker either, but it is the most supported solution, and might even work out-of-the-box.

Support is very difficult. There's no real user community, and nowhere to ask questions. You're not very likely to get useful answers if you ask here.