I would like to setup my Alfresco data storage to be on a separate local server but keep the data intact and without changing filenames on the source files. I am using Debian OS 64bit with version is latest I believe (Bitnami OVA downloaded file).

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doughnet
Member II

I would like to setup my Alfresco data storage to be on a separate local server but keep the data intact and without changing filenames on the source files. I am using Debian OS 64bit with version is latest I believe (Bitnami OVA downloaded file).

In our workplace location we have a main server that a third party IT company manages for us.  I have all our documents on this system and would like to use different server running Alfresco to absorb/access the data (pdf/images) on the managed server (has high availability & backups).  I can not change any of the files on the managed server.  How do I achieve my end goal of wanting to use Alfresco for our document searching/viewing?

Thank you for your time and help!  Much appreciated!

1 Reply
jpotts
Professional

Re: I would like to setup my Alfresco data storage to be on a separate local server but keep the data intact and without changing filenames on the source files. I am using Debian OS 64bit with version is latest I believe (Bitnami OVA downloaded file).

Alfresco does not work that way. Alfresco manages files that it ingests into its repository. It stores metadata in a relational database and files on the file system. The metadata includes the name of the file. When it writes files to the file system (the content store) it renames them to a hashed name and changes the extension to "bin". The file system is under the complete control of Alfresco--you should not read or update it at all.

If you want to place an existing file system under control by some sort of front-end, use something other than Alfresco. Maybe have a look at Nextcloud or Pydio.