If I don't using Full Text Search there no need install Apache Solr, Is this correct?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phong_van
Active Member II

If I don't using Full Text Search there no need install Apache Solr, Is this correct?

Jump to solution

I'm new member in Alfresco. Recently I try to understand how Solr 6 work with Alfresco. So, If I don't using Full text search there no need install Apache Solr, Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mehe
Senior Member II

Re: If I don't using Full Text Search there no need install Apache Solr, Is this correct?

Jump to solution

No - Solr also indexes the metadata fields and is essential for alfresco 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
mehe
Senior Member II

Re: If I don't using Full Text Search there no need install Apache Solr, Is this correct?

Jump to solution

No - Solr also indexes the metadata fields and is essential for alfresco 

phong_van
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Dear Martin Ehe, 

Thanks for your reply,

But I don't understand how Solr index metadata. I've alfready try example as below:

1.Excecute 2 query

• 1- "select * from shf:myDoc  where cmis:name like '%pdf%'" => Success
  • 2- "select * from shf:myDoc where CONTAINS('cmis:nameSmiley Tonguedf')"  => Success

After that, I've try stop Solr and Execute 2 query again

• 1- "select * from shf:myDoc  where cmis:name like '%pdf%'" => Success
  • 2- "select * from shf:myDoc where CONTAINS('cmis:nameSmiley Tonguedf')"  => Fails

(I'm using cmis 1.1 with atom).

So I thinks that:

• with normal query => Solr no need to using,
  • with sepcial query (Contain, in_tree, in_folder ...) => need using Solr.

So please clear for me about this.

Once again, many thanks!

mehe
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

Cmis is only one of many possibilities to query Alfrescos data. You have created a query that seems to use the database.

That does not imply that all queries use the database.

Alfresco Share and some Parts of the APIs are disfunctional if solr is disabled.

cesarista
Customer

Jump to solution

Here it is a list of supported and unsupported predicates and operators for CMIS queries.

Agree with Martin that Share and some parts of the API are disfunctional without SOLR, but very simple CRUD CMIS-based backend use cases could work without it.

Transactional metadata queries supported by database | Alfresco Documentation  

Regards.

--C.

phong_van
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Dear Martin Ehe and Cesar Capillas,

Thanks for your reply. Agree with you about some parts  (for example: Alfresco Share, Cmis contain query...) are disfunctional without SOLR.  

The reason for my question as below:

My company need to build ECM system which store a lot of file (in format pdf, image, text ,...).  All file in 1 customer's transaction I plan to saved in 1 Folder - with folder name = customer code. So to query all file in 1 customer's transaction I have 2 option:

• 1.The first I design in custom model which have 1 property with name  shf:customerCode, and query by : select * from shf:myDoc  where shf:customerCode = ${customerCode}
  • 2.The second 
    • Return Id folder customer code for client (which call upload API)
    • Query by: select * from shf:myDoc d  where IN_FOLDER ( d, ${folder_id})

So please give me some advise about 2 option, I've concert very much about performance (because in the future my ECM System will very very much file)

Once again thanks for very much you support!

mehe
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

Hi,

you should avoid to have too many children in one folder (normally max. 1000). When using queries, you should prefer metadata fields or tags  and not folder or path queries.

phong_van
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Dear Martin Ehe,

Thanks for your advise! I will try!