Is it possible to run multiple Alfresco CE Repository Docker containers in parallel?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fabrice7
Partner

Is it possible to run multiple Alfresco CE Repository Docker containers in parallel?

Hello,

Provided that the containers mount a shared filesystem (such as EFS on AWS) on `/usr/local/tomcat/alf_data`, is it possible to run more than one container of the Alfresco Repository Docker image (viz `alfresco/alfresco-governance-repository-community:V3.3.1.x-latest`) in parallel? Or will they conflict with each other?

Thank you very much for any help

4 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: Is it possible to run multiple Alfresco CE Repository Docker containers in parallel?

It's possible. Always that you have a different DB and a different alf_data/contentstore* folder for every service.

Hyland Developer Evangelist
fabrice7
Partner

Re: Is it possible to run multiple Alfresco CE Repository Docker containers in parallel?

Thanks a lot angelborry for you answer.

We will need to use Alfresco CE Repository (with Records Management) and Alfresco CE Share. 

I understand that you advised me to have two databases, one for Repository and one for Share. Is that correct?

I am not quite sure I understand your comment about different `alf_data/contentstore*` folders... Could you please elaborate? Just to be clear: I am very new to Alfresco.

Thanks a lot,

Fabrice

afaust
Master

What Angel is referring to is that Alfresco CE does not support clustering. So if you want to run multiple Alfresco CE Repository DOcker containers in parallel, each needs to have its own runtime data, i.e. have a separate database and content store, so the data does not get intertwined / mixed up. Alfresco Share never needs a database itself, but if you have two Repository containers with distinct databases / content stores running, you will also need to run two Share containers - one for each Repository.

I think a basic question you should probably provide an answer to is what do you want to achieve with running multiple Alfresco CE Repository containers in parallel? Does it have to do with scalability, failover or load balancing, or do you just want to have two (separate) systems on the same host? What Angel and I answered addresses more the second option. The first option is - as I said - not supported with Alfresco CE in the out-of-the-box state. There is an addon though that has just been open sourced which may help with some of the scalability aspects.

fabrice7
Partner

Hi afaust,

Thanks a lot for your input. 

Yes, I wanted to run multiple Alfresco CE Repository instances behind a load balancer. I will have a look at the addon you suggested.

Cheers!