Is there a way to inherit form configurations for editing properties of different document types?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcollirite
Active Member II

Is there a way to inherit form configurations for editing properties of different document types?

Jump to solution

Hi all

I'm currently working on a content model for my Alfresco instance. In this content model, I have a base document type, and multiple specific document types (e.g. report, test procedure, statement of work etc.) which are children of the base document type. 

I am in the process of configuring the forms for the "edit properties" section in share, for these document types, and I am looking for a way to inherit the form configuration from my base document type, so that I only need to define it once in my share-config-custom.xml (as opposed to copying the same xml code over and over again). Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks

Marcus

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Is there a way to inherit form configurations for editing properties of different document types?

Jump to solution

Unfortunately there is no way in default Alfresco to inherit form configurations from base type to special type. This is a restriction of the node-type evaluator. Technically one could develop a custom evaluator that supports this, but AFAIK no one has done that yet and provided it under anopen source license.

People tend to use aspect-based form configurations for re-usable form elements. This also works nicely with typical recommendations of using aspects for data modelling and applying them either to document types via mandatory aspects or individual nodes at runtime.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Is there a way to inherit form configurations for editing properties of different document types?

Jump to solution

Unfortunately there is no way in default Alfresco to inherit form configurations from base type to special type. This is a restriction of the node-type evaluator. Technically one could develop a custom evaluator that supports this, but AFAIK no one has done that yet and provided it under anopen source license.

People tend to use aspect-based form configurations for re-usable form elements. This also works nicely with typical recommendations of using aspects for data modelling and applying them either to document types via mandatory aspects or individual nodes at runtime.

marcollirite
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Hi Axel

Thanks for your answer. I was wondering if you have a link/example regarding aspect-based form configurations? I have not been able to find any references online so far

afaust
Master

Jump to solution

The default Share form configurations contain examples of defining aspect-specific forms.

marcollirite
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Perfect, got it working now, thank you!