Managing + Appending Log Files (alfresco.log, share.log and solr.log)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hilary_benjamin

Managing + Appending Log Files (alfresco.log, share.log and solr.log)

Can anyone assist me with managing the log files on Alfresco? I would like the log files to keep appending to one file as opposed to writing and creating multiple files. 

I face issues where my alfresco wouldnt even start because the space has been consumed with log files has anyone else been facing this issue how did you handle it? 

Thank you in anticipation of your response. 

4 Replies
mehe
Senior Member II

Re: Managing + Appending Log Files (alfresco.log, share.log and solr.log)

Your logs shouldn't be so large. Maybe a repeating error fills up your logs. Cesar Capillas‌ has some very helpful articles on his site, including log management: Basic maintenaince of your Alfresco logs - Simple tips about Alfresco logs - zylk 

What's the OS that you are using?

cesarista
Customer

Hi:

- I would say that to keep all files in a single one is not a good idea, because each log file corresponds to different applications (alfresco.log to alfresco repository, share.log to Share client, solr4.log to SOLR). Do not mix them. 

- Each of these log files are rotated (and truncated) everyday, so a simple crontab script may be valid for purging or zipping. The only log that is not truncated by default is catalina.out. Check out the link Martin Ehe for logrotating this file.

- And as commented by Martin, repeating errors fill up your logs, i.e. if you have problems with your indices and SOLR can not access each 15s to Alfresco repository (this is classic). Sometimes localhost_access_log* may be large due an intensive SOLR use.

- Finally, another strategy is to define custom log4j.properties with appenders with a maximum size for each application. 

Regards.

--C.

hilary_benjamin

Hi thanks for replying I am using CentOS release 6.8. 

hilary_benjamin

Thank you for responding, I don't quite know what the issue could be but I will check all the resource links shared and post an update with my progress.