cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djarty
Active Member II

OCR pdf have some shift of selection bug

Hello!

Looks like Alfresco (Community 201707) have some trouble with searchable word selection into OCRed pdf files?

See picture.

See some shift of selection, not really under the real words and letters. Its unusable if need select and copy/paste some word from OCR pdf.

Its a bug (please confirm somebody) or can be tuned for normal look?

On picture also Chrome and Adobe Reader window with same file and normal selection directly under letters. So its looks like not OCR engine problem but Alfresco rendering.

10 Replies
krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

Re: OCR pdf have some shift of selection bug

Its the bug of the tool which you are using and not of alfresco.For example , if you are using pdfsandwich for performing ocr than its bug of pdfsandwich. Not sure which tool you are using.

Basically when you perform the OCR, what every tool does is creating a text from the pdf/image and put it on behind the what we visually looking at.So it often happens that the coordinates become bit of wrong.

OCR depends on the quality of image as well.It is totally depends on the capability of the OCR Tool.

mehe
Senior Member II

As you showed with your screenshots, it seems to be a problem with the pdf viewing component in Alfresco. The Browser PDF Components seem to be aligned better.
What OS and Version of Alfresco are you running? Maybe it's a problem with the installed Fonts...

djarty
Active Member II

My first thinking - ocr tool problem (yes its sandwich). But I specially make two other windows with Chrome pdf rendering engine and Adobe Reader engine with same pdf. As you can see shift problem only in Alfresco Document Details view.

I will try just add clear pdf maked in other ocr (if find it) or directly from pdf maker. But think problem not gone. 

krutik_jayswal
Senior Member II

Can you upload same pdf document in forum..So that i can check it in my system....Thank you

djarty
Active Member II

Community Edition 201707 GA    Ubuntu 16.04 (server and client)

Yes, browser show all right.

Adobe Reader - ok.

Usability of selection poor - select visually one word but really got word from upper string if strings have little space..

OCRed pdf added, please try it on other system, viewer or Alfresco.

P.S. forgot.. the same bad view in Opera (also Chrome engine) in Afresco under Windows OS client.

djarty
Active Member II

Done. Thanks

djarty
Active Member II

So anybody can confirm selection problem in OCRed pdf? (TestOCR.pdf in first message)

mehe
Senior Member II

yes,

I also have the problem with the "offset" when select Text of your PDF

djarty
Active Member II

Ok, thank you, its about "my pdf". What about another "correct pdf" may be you have it? 

Just need to prove its global or local problem.