Outbound email Alfresco 6.1 Docker

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ulrichj

Outbound email Alfresco 6.1 Docker

Hello,

I use ACS Community 201901 on ubuntu docker with docker compose.

Description: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

I use a volume to overload alfresco_global properties.

volumes:

- ./config/alfresco-global.properties:/usr/local/tomcat/shared/classes/alfresco-global.properties

alfresco-global.properties :

mail.smtp.auth=true
mail.host=mail.***.fr
mail.port=26
mail.smtp.auth=true
mail.username=****@**
mail.password=*****
mail.encoding=UTF-8
mail.smtp.timeout=30000
mail.smtp.debug=true
mail.protocol=smtp
mail.smtp.starttls.enable=false

The log I get :

Failed to send email to ulrich.julien@rainbow-integration.fr : org.springframework.mail.MailSendException: Failed messages: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
alfresco_1 | ;
alfresco_1 | nested exception is:
alfresco_1 | com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSenderFailedException: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
alfresco_1 | ; message exceptions (1) are:
alfresco_1 | Failed message 1: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
alfresco_1 | ;
alfresco_1 | nested exception is:
alfresco_1 | com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSenderFailedException: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)

I use the same outbound e-mail configuration on Alfresco 5.2 and it works perfectly. 

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply
afaust
Master

Re: Outbound email Alfresco 6.1 Docker

Alfresco will use the local host name / address to announce itself to the mail server via HELO. In a Docker environment, this will be some arbitrary, Docker-internal address. If your email server is configured to validate the sender host identity, it may fail and thus reject the sender. Alfresco does not provide a default configuration property to specify an alternative name (e.g. the Docker host's name) instead. But it is technically possible to configure a proper host name - it requires that the javaMailProperties (https://github.com/Alfresco/alfresco-repository/blob/master/src/main/resources/alfresco/subsystems/e...) be extended with a "mail.smtp.localhost" entry, which specifies the effective name to use for announcing Alfresco via HELO.

Alternatively, one might relax the HELO validation on the mail server, or use a relay / proxy on the Docker host instead of connecting directly.

It might be worth creating a JIRA for Alfresco to add such a configuration option by default. Apparently no one else so far encountered this kind of issue, which is actually quite natural for this new default Docker-deployment method.