PDF previsualisation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicolas_loyce
Member II

PDF previsualisation

Hi Community ! I've upload a PDF wich is something like 70 MO large and the previsualisation seems to not work, It takes a verry verry long time to see the pdf ... is there a way to control it works ? is there an addon to install ? 

4 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: PDF previsualisation

If you have a 70 MiB PDF file stored in Alfresco and are trying to look at the document details preview, then you might run into issues with the client-side previewer. A 70 MiB file might be simply too large to be viewd within the browser. For one it will take some time to download the file in the first place and then it needs to be rendered as HTML. This can seriously degrade the performance of the browser - or fail if not enough memory / resources are available.

As far as I am aware, there is currently no addon to trim down on large PDF files. If the PDF consists of many pages, it would be possible to create a rule-based transformation that creates a web preview of only the first XX pages (adjustable to a sensible limit). But if the PDF is large because there is a high-res image on the first page, then such an approach won't work - in that case it might be required to either virtually print or otherwise resample the PDF to include less detail. Again, there is no addon that I know that will do this, so it would be custom implementation-

nicolas_loyce
Member II

that's too bad ... I thought there was a module like this to make documents more readable with the phone and with a low connection. I heard about pdf2swf but this is only for the preview right ? 

afaust
Master

PDF2SWF is only for Flash-based preview and no longer used by default as the Flash-based previewer component has been replaced by PDF.js

douglascrp
Advanced II

There are some third party solutions to provide better previews, but all I know are paid.

HTML5 Document Viewer for Alfresco | Snowbound Software 

IBM Daeja ViewONE 

Those solutions will allow you to view documents, downloading only the parts you need, like, page by page preview, and not forcing you to download the full PDF.