POC questions before migrating platform from MS SharePoint 2010 to Alfresco?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nattapongk
Member II

POC questions before migrating platform from MS SharePoint 2010 to Alfresco?

Hi,

I am interested in Alfresco and looking for a platform migration from MS SharePoint 2010 to Alfresco in order to support EDM. (now I use MS SharePoint 2010 to support EDM in the organization)

Now I am working on proof-of-concept and got a few questions.

1) In MS SharePoint 2010, I use "Document Set" to store multiple files with an assigned list of metadata so I would like to know whether Alfresco has any similar features to "Document Set"?

2) We also need to manage native source files (.docx) separately from final scanned files (.pdf) so I would like to know how Alfresco can support this requirement when both native source file and final scanned files are referenced to the same record.

Thank you so much.

2 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: POC questions before migrating platform from MS SharePoint 2010 to Alfresco?

In Alfresco you could use the "Virtual Folders" feature to provide you with a functionality similar to the SharePoint Document Set one. In a virtual folder you can define automatic metadata assignment, so multiple files have the same metadata by default when they are filed there. Alternatively, any regular folder can act as a Document Set when combined with a Folder Rule to automatically assign a specific set of metadata on any new documents filed in the set. Rules can also utilise user-provided JavaScript files for any sort of automation / dynamic metadata assignment.

Technically, any node in Alfresco can have any number of "content properties", meaning you can within the data modelling capabilities of Alfresco define a type of record that has a native and a rendered content file assigned to it. By default though, the UI only supports single-content records and you'd have to do some minor UI customisation / extension to support multi-content records.

nattapongk
Member II

Re: POC questions before migrating platform from MS SharePoint 2010 to Alfresco?

Hi Axel, Thank you so much for the clear explanation.