PostgreSQL (New to this please help)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan18fan
Member II

PostgreSQL (New to this please help)

Hello everyone, well... Alfresco is working fine for me, in my enterprise's local server (windows server 2012 r2) and I can open it in any PC that is connected to the server's domain.

Now... I've installed Odoo for future working purposes along with Alfresco, but I can't get Odoo to work.

Alfresco installed PostgreSQL and so Odoo did.

Are their "PostgreSQL's" independent? can they run for each service?

I also want to point out that I installed Alfresco first then Odoo.

And if PostgreSQL can run for both, how can I set them up to avoid any conflict? 

I'm really sorry, I'm new to all this things and it's my job to understand this environment 100%.

6 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: PostgreSQL (New to this please help)

If you install complex software like Alfresco or Odoo using the default provided installers, the components they rely on will usually be installed as separate / independent components. Such installers are usually meant for "quick start" type of scenarios - I don't see them fit for best practices / production use cases.

You can avoid conflicts between two PostgreSQL services by configuring their network ports to different values in their respective postgresql.conf files. This means you will also have to adapt the configuration of at least one of Alfresco or Odoo to use the changed port(s) for connecting to PostgreSQL.

What I'd do is a bit different. I would not install PostgreSQL service that is shipped with either installer. Instead I would install PostgreSQL (using an installer comming directly from PostgreSQL) as a single, shared service that provides databases for both business applications.

dan18fan
Member II

I took your last suggestion, installed odoo and alfresco by themselves without postgreSQL, installed postgreSQL separately from their official page but I don't know what to do next, I been trying move around pgAdmin 4 and connect to alfresco without success. 

afaust
Master

Well - after installing the PostgreSQL service you need to create a user + database for Alfresco, and then connect Alfresco to PostgreSQL.

dan18fan
Member II

I'm using pgAdmin 3, all good until.....

1. Open the <classpathRoot>/alfresco-global.properties.sample file.
  2. Locate the following line:

dir.root=./alf_data

3. Edit the line with an absolute path to point to the directory in which you want to store Alfresco Content Services data. For example: dir.root=C:/Alfresco/alf_data
  4. Uncomment the following properties:

# PostgreSQL connection (requires postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc3.jar or equivalent)#db.driver=org.postgresql.Driverdb.url=jdbc:postgresql://${db.host}:${db.port}/${db.name} 
  5. Set the other database connection properties.

db.name=alfresco db.username=alfresco db.password=alfresco db.host=localhost db.port=5432db.pool.max=100
    Note:Ensure that these database connection properties are not commented out.
  6. Save the file without the .sample extension.
  7. To allow password-authenticated connections through TCP/IP, ensure that the PostgreSQL configuration file, pg_hba.conf, contains the following line:

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 password
  8. Restart the Alfresco Content Services server.

Don't really understand these steps.

afaust
Master

Hmm - I don't know how to actually help you if those steps are already confusing. I mean, you didn't even mention "what" about them is confusing to you so I could potentially try and explain one or two of them.

Any suggestions I might make might just confuse you more...

dan18fan
Member II

look, heres the thing.. alfresco is running in my local server pretty well, but I want to know and be ready when a new version of Alfresco Community comes out so I can have a backup done of my current alfresco's settings, repository, users, permissions, sites... so I can set up the new version of Alfresco Community with all of these settings, this is why I'm trying to understand how PostgreSQL works, pgAdmin, etc.

I wish there were more specific tutorials about this Smiley Sad