Question about Migrate from Microsoft file server (SMB) to alfresco

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sepehrha

Question about Migrate from Microsoft file server (SMB) to alfresco

Hi all,
I am new here, I have a situation that I need help.
One of our customers with about 200 employees are currently using windows share with Active directory for file sharing and collaboration, they have many folders inside folder with permisions set for read and write for specific persons or groups.
Some folders have read pemision for one employee and wrtie for other employee and some of them is privte for a specifc group.
And they are asking for a better solution to enhance.
Since I am new to alfresco , could you please guide me to achive migrating to alfresco for this purpose.
I read the docs and found that I can sync user account from active directory.
The big problem for me is the current files and folders and permisions , how can I move the files with the same permisions to alfresco , is it possible at all?
I searched google and no luck.
Is there any documentation or tool to help me achive this?

7 Replies
kintu_barot

Re: Question about Migrate from Microsoft file server (SMB) to alfresco

Yes, it is possible to create the folders within folders with the permission and move all the contents to Alfresco from Microsoft. Users can also be synced from Active Directory.

But more specifically, to help you on this we need to understand what enhancements you are looking for and in which terms you are looking for better solution.

Regards,
Kintu
sepehrha

Dear Kintu,

Thank you for the quick response, I am exactly looking for the guide to easily export ( from Microsoft windows ) and import folders and sub folders and files (To Alfresco) with the exact same permisions previously available.
Since there is a lot of data and folders avalible it is not possible to create the folders and permissions one by one manualy!

For the start i exported folders and files path with permisions/users to csv with a script.

So what is the steps should i follow , and which tools/docs should i look for?

Should i directly work with database and write my own tools or there is already a tool/menu for that?

Thanks for helping.

kintu_barot

You can directly move folders to Alfresco either using Webdev or Ftp.

For the permissions you can write a script which will read the csv file and assign the permissions accordingly.

If you are new to Alfresco then you must cover certain basic things. You can directly start with webscript which will do your work. 

https://ecmarchitect.com/alfresco-developer-series-tutorials/webscripts/tutorial/tutorial.html

Regards,
Kintu
jljwoznica

You can also set up jobs using the Bulk Import tool.

sepehrha

Thank you, i will try and post the results here.maybe after success i share my experiment to community as a tutorial Smiley Happy

EddieMay
Alfresco Employee

Hi @sepehrha,

If you could update us regarding progress & then write tutorial, that would be excellent. 

Good luck  Smiley Happy

Digital Community Manager, Alfresco Software.
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!
fedorow
Senior Member II

Additionally to above information.

Webdav makes new documents by current data and gives new author to all files. It's bad experience.

Bulk import will give your document two real data (created and modified) and real windows owner will be creator and modifier in Alfresco. It's important, so I strongly recommend go this way. Some additional properties could be imported by making xml properties files.

You could syncronaze users from Active Directory (recomended) or make one time import throught csv file. All creators (authors) automaticali will have alfresco owners permisions for their files. It's half of all work.

I'm not sure, does it possible to transfer file permissions through xml. If not, another permissions could be imported by your own script.