cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CologneClaret

Saving metadata from PDF attachments from incoming emails

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

our Alfresco Enterprise 5.2.3 system has been configured for incoming emails and this is successful, however when I send a test mail with attachments the attachments are shown as separate files in the repository, however metadata is not being extracted.

When debugging is enabled I see the following in the log:

DEBUG [content.metadata.MetadataExtracterConfigImpl] [http-bio-8444-exec-7] Tika metadata options passed to Tika parser: TIKA_PARSER_PARSE_SHAPES=false

If I upload the same attachments the document content type is correctly set and the metadata is parsed correctly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :-)

Update: Resolved by creating a rule to extract the metadata. The metadata is then saved to the file properties in Alfresco

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
EddieMay
Alfresco Employee

Re: Saving metadata from PDF attachments from incoming emails

Jump to solution

Hi @CologneClaret,

Great that you managed to fix your issue & thanks for updating us. Would be great if you could say a little more about your rule.

In the meantime, I''ll set this as solved.

Thanks,

Digital Community Manager, Alfresco Software.
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

View solution in original post

CologneClaret

Jump to solution

Solution explanation:

When mails are sent to Alfresco, when the mail lands in the destination folder the attachments are separated into an HTML file representation of the mail, a Plain Text file representation of the mail and any attachments. Unfortunately though, the standard metadata such as title and author are not automatically added to the extracted files. This is different when uploading files to a folder, where the standard metadata is added.

In order to have the metadata added to the files extracted from an incoming mail a rule needs to be added to the incoming mail folder - "Extract metadata" needs to be applied for all new files. This will add the standard metadata to the files as they are extracted.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
EddieMay
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @CologneClaret,

Great that you managed to fix your issue & thanks for updating us. Would be great if you could say a little more about your rule.

In the meantime, I''ll set this as solved.

Thanks,

CologneClaret

Jump to solution

Solution explanation:

When mails are sent to Alfresco, when the mail lands in the destination folder the attachments are separated into an HTML file representation of the mail, a Plain Text file representation of the mail and any attachments. Unfortunately though, the standard metadata such as title and author are not automatically added to the extracted files. This is different when uploading files to a folder, where the standard metadata is added.

In order to have the metadata added to the files extracted from an incoming mail a rule needs to be added to the incoming mail folder - "Extract metadata" needs to be applied for all new files. This will add the standard metadata to the files as they are extracted.

CologneClaret

Jump to solution

Done Eddy, thank you :-)

EddieMay
Alfresco Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @CologneClaret 

Thanks for doing this Smiley Happy

Cheers,