Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruudg
Active Member II

Searching for the updated Swagger documentation

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm developing a Java library to communicate with Alfresco via REST API Services.

I downloaed YAML files from https://github.com/Alfresco/rest-api-explorer/tree/5.2.g/src/main/webapp/definitions  and I generated a CXF Client using https://editor.swagger.io/ 

I think that one of major benefits of using Swagger documentation is to give the possibility to auto-generate a client for developers that wants to easily consume the APIs.

I'm currently using an Alfresco 5.2.g and I verified that there are many differences between documentation and responses that I receive from Alfresco.

I also checked that on master branch of rest-api-explorer project the situation doesn't change. For example, alfresco-workflow.yaml last update is in 23 Feb 2017.

So my question is: am I searching Swagger documentation on the right place? Where can I find a manteined version of it?

Thanks in advance,

Ruud

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: Searching for the updated Swagger documentation

Jump to solution

The GitHub project you looked in for newer definitions is the correct one. If there have not been any more updates than that is because there are none. The alfresco-workflow APIs should be considered "stable", as in "not going to be evolved much" because Alfresco is putting focus on enhancing standalone Activiti 7 / Cloud and Alfresco Process Service, and the embedded workflow engine (alfresco-workflow) is more or less bound to be removed at some point. It has actually been communicated as de-facto deprecated with Alfresco 6.0.

And yes, there are many differences between documentation and actual behaviour. The v1 ReSt API in Alfresco 5.2 was a first development state, and I would argue even now it is far from complete / sufficiently evolved to be considered final or stable. Unfortunately, the development process is not one of "API first", but of "ADF / UI first", so some operations are quite tailored to serving that UI framework instead of being generally useful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

The GitHub project you looked in for newer definitions is the correct one. If there have not been any more updates than that is because there are none. The alfresco-workflow APIs should be considered "stable", as in "not going to be evolved much" because Alfresco is putting focus on enhancing standalone Activiti 7 / Cloud and Alfresco Process Service, and the embedded workflow engine (alfresco-workflow) is more or less bound to be removed at some point. It has actually been communicated as de-facto deprecated with Alfresco 6.0.

And yes, there are many differences between documentation and actual behaviour. The v1 ReSt API in Alfresco 5.2 was a first development state, and I would argue even now it is far from complete / sufficiently evolved to be considered final or stable. Unfortunately, the development process is not one of "API first", but of "ADF / UI first", so some operations are quite tailored to serving that UI framework instead of being generally useful.

Jatherton
Active Member II

Jump to solution