SOLR 6.5.5 is not starting : Invalid Java version 11.0.14.1

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarikrishnanMV
Member II

SOLR 6.5.5 is not starting : Invalid Java version 11.0.14.1

Trying to setup SOLR 6.5.5 and getting the following error : "Invalid Java version 11.0.14.1".

What is the reason for this error and how to solve this 

5 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: SOLR 6.5.5 is not starting : Invalid Java version 11.0.14.1

It's a known issue for SOLR 6, that won't be solved.

Use another Java version with only 3 version fields (like 11.0.14).

Hyland Developer Evangelist
james_covington
Member II

Can you please elaborate on the issue, or provide a link to the bug? We are also experiencing the same issue.

angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

bmlong
Partner

What is the solution here?  Our server team upgraded to that version of Java for security reasons.  They won't go back.  Is there a Jetty patch planned?  Our ASIE runtime is just out of commission at the moment.

bmlong
Partner

I took this up myself.  I did some investigating, found the issue in the source, and found a solution.  Here is the text of my response to Hyland Support.  The context is getting Jetty updated, so the versions are in reference to Jetty:

I got a workaround to well...work.  I tried v9.4.x to no avail, as there are too many changes with configuration.  I at first, thought I needed to backport something from v9.4.x to v9.3.x.  However, after looking at the Jetty source, I found that the fix made its way into v9.3.x.  It made it with the following commit: https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/commit/b0fc078a1c795f8c1704a57fe5f6c49922348488

So I cloned the project, checked out the v9.3.30.v20211001 tag, performed a Maven build, copied up the jetty-distribution ZIP into the solr/server directory and unpacked it.  I backed up 'lib' and 'start.jar' and effectively replaced them with the files from the new build.  The new build had additional files, but I only copied the ones that already existed in the ASIE/Solr distribution.  And I copied the non-Jetty files from the old 'lib' to the new one (metrics, javax).

It all appears to be working right now.