Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Member

Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Hello everyone!

I upgraded my alfresco community edition (5.0 to 5.2) respecting specific Alfresco documentation:

   - Install the new version (from Alfresco installer)

   - Copy old content store in new installation directory (10Gb)

   - Switching config in properties to use old Postgre database  

   - Regenerate SSL keys...

Firstly, the startup of Alfresco is OK (no errors) but It need many hours to be fully available (100% CPU during at least 4 hours without errors ). I thought it was only for first start (building index for first time) but it take this time for every restart of Alfresco. I don't know if this time is a normal value but is complicated for testing properties and restart application.

After the startup, Alfresco Share interface is OK with all functionnality. My problem occur when I add or modify a file, the file is well added in the interface but it seem not indexed, is never added in "recently updated/modified" category , recents and searching actions (rss functions..).

If I check Solr admin console, i notice that lastModified value is never updated and there are no log in catalina.out or solr.log) ...

Solr

 

core info

UpdateHandler details : 

In SolrR logging console , I found some errors after startup at ~16:00

errors

details

For "Java heap space" message I already increase JAVA_OPTS values in setenv.sh like this

Any ideas? 

Thanks a lot

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Customer

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Yes, that seems the problem. Default Heap settings -Xms and -Xmx from ctl.sh are probably taking preference over the ones from setenv.sh, and so, the java out of memory problems.

So just delete -Xmx and -Xms settings from ctl.sh and restart Alfresco. I prefer to use setenv.sh instead of ctl.sh

Regards.

--C.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Master

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

You apparently have an error on the Repository side (logs not provided), which is indicated by SOLR receiving a 500 response code for its calls to the APIs to retrieve index-relevant changes. Check the alfresco.log file for any issues, correct them, and try again.

If you included the SOLR log file as an attachement (along with alfresco.log) instead of a short excerpt screenshot, people on this platform could potentially help you out more effectively.

Highlighted
Customer

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

My two cents:

- You can check SOLR indexation tracking via SOLR page in OOTB Support Tools.

- You can also try to get more information setting DEBUG in log4j for SOLR tracking:

log4j.logger.org.alfresco.solr.tracker.CoreTracker=DEBUG

Regards.

--C.

Highlighted
Active Member

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Hello, thanks,

I'm not in my office this week!

I will make sure that I reply when I get back!

Happy holidays

Highlighted
Active Member

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Hello Axel and Cesar,

I'm back to business and this is my logs after a clean start of Alfresco :

alfresco.log => https://ufile.io/is2j2

solr.log => https://ufile.io/0icvk 

Any Idea? 

Highlighted
Active Member

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

You'r right,I uploaded log files to my question!

Thanks again

Highlighted
Customer

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Hi:

At first sight, you have an Out of Memory Error in your logs (both alfresco.log and solr.log), so your instance is not starting properly. Try increasing your RAM and JVM Heap resources (in setenv.sh)

Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

In addition, are you sure that the above JVM settings are being applied properly ? (-Xms4G -Xmx5G) For example, if some other heap values are included via JAVA_OPTS in tomcat/scripts/ctl.sh script or in service startup script. You may check this with ps command.

Regards.

--C.

Highlighted
Active Member

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Thanks Cesar for your help !

I'm not sure I tweaked the good file, I have 2 files with JAVA_OPTS configuration :

=> setenv.sh (modified)

=> ctl.sh

PS JAVA

Highlighted
Customer

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Yes, that seems the problem. Default Heap settings -Xms and -Xmx from ctl.sh are probably taking preference over the ones from setenv.sh, and so, the java out of memory problems.

So just delete -Xmx and -Xms settings from ctl.sh and restart Alfresco. I prefer to use setenv.sh instead of ctl.sh

Regards.

--C.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Active Member

Re: Solr4 : Asynchronous indexing not working

Jump to solution

Ok, I deleted -Xmx and -Xms settings from ctl.sh.

I will restart Alfresco tonight and check logs.

Thanks again

PS : Bueno, ahora me doy cuenta que quizas en espanol habria sido mas facil para mi :-) ! Tengo un mejor espagnol que ingles! Gracias por todo, manana te digo si me ha functionado, espero k si! Hasta luego