Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dba100
Active Member II

upgrade 5.2, where is the alfresco-content-services-installer-5.2.7-win-x64.exe

Jump to solution

hi,

we are trying to upgrade from community 5.0 to 5.2 and from :

1. https://docs.alfresco.com/content-services/5.2/upgrade/#upgrading-on-a-single-instance

2. https://docs.alfresco.com/content-services/5.2/install/#using-the-installers-on-windows

I know we need to download the installer : alfresco-content-services-installer-5.2.7-win-x64.exe as the start point and upgrade files, but I can't see where I can downlaod it, please suggest.

anything else we need to download together with alfresco-content-services-installer-5.2.7-win-x64.exe ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
heiko_robert

Re: upgrade 5.2, where is the alfresco-content-services-installer-5.2.7-win-x64.exe

Jump to solution

5.2.7 is an enterprise version. Don't you have support from a Alfresco partner for your upgrade process?

You can (re)use the existing db - even on a new install. Just run the installer like for a fresh system and then modify the db and contentstore url in the alfresco-global.properties. What could be a real pain is how to upgrade the postgres binaries and update the database within your local windows directory created by the Alfresco installer(s). You should check if pg_upgrade is included in your bin directory. Some weeks ago I did a inplace postres upgrade on linux system for a > 400 GB alfresco db and that took ~ 20 mins but on that system we already stored the db in a postres installed from the OS package manager, not from the Alfresco installer. Also I'm not sure if inplace postgres upgrade is supported on Windows at all since the mechanism creates symlinks in the new install dir.

What do you think to take this as a chance to move your db on a independant system using an official Postgres installer/deployment? I would even encourage you to move from Windows to Linux in this step, which makes updates/upgrade/tuning/clustering easier. For this migration you would need to pg_dump and pg_restore once but you you may play with parallel dump and parallel restoration to reduce the downtime.

Rebuilding postgres' indexes and updating statistics would not reduce any table/db sizes. For that size I would guess something like 100 mio nodes/documents. If you think it should be less you could check the trash bin (archive store) and the trash cleaner.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
cristinamr
Advanced

Re: upgrade 5.2, where is the alfresco-content-services-installer-5.2.7-win-x64.exe

Jump to solution

Good morning.

That version belong to Enterprise version. If you are using community version, please check this post.

Cheers.

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc
dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

tks. let's see if we can find one to upgrade instead of New installation.

but one thing, I read the upgrade guide, it seem the upgrade = NEW installation + restore of producion data from old server over to the new server?

cristinamr
Advanced

Jump to solution

@dba100 wrote:

but one thing, I read the upgrade guide, it seem the upgrade = NEW installation + restore of producion data from old server over to the new server?

Yes, it is the recommeded way to process :-)

Cheers!

--
dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi.

tks.

So even PostgreSQL folder can be copy like that ...... ?  I doubt that. and we should use pgdump for that ..?

cristinamr
Advanced

Jump to solution

Good morning.

Why don't you try with a fresh installation (create 1 doc on it)? You can follow the upgrade instructions and if you have a problem you can let us know.

Cheers,

Cris.

--
dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi,

we will try it soon but what amaze me is how can we during setup, ALREADY tell alfresco that the PostgreSQL DB is in other box instead of local one!

is the installation wizard allow us to point to EXISTING postgreSQL ?

cristinamr
Advanced

Jump to solution

Hi!

As far as I remeber: yes you have one step where you can specify where is located your pogresql configuration path. But anyway, if you has missed this step, you can edit your alfresco-global.properties (under tomcat/shared/classes) and modify its details there.

Cheers,

Cristina.

--
dba100
Active Member II

Jump to solution

hi,

Tks. right now our postgreSQL has 406GB of data and what it  store actually? I see some tables very large, e.g 280GB.

If I login to that PostgreSQL and rebuilt all index and update all statistics, what is this action going to improve?

"r: yes you have one step where you can specify where is located your pogresql configuration path"

Tks. as the upgrade guide said in place upgrade is not good and we are told to install the new alfresco on ANOTHER box , if we can left the postgresQL in the orignal box, then alfresco and PostgreSQL separated.

Someone even tell me to kill/cancel the POST installation wizard, I am not sure how can I get do it? it is not going to kill the whole Alfresco upgrade?

"you can edit your alfresco-global.properties (under tomcat/shared/classes) and modify its details there.

Cheers,"

yeah, tks. you told me before.

heiko_robert

Jump to solution

5.2.7 is an enterprise version. Don't you have support from a Alfresco partner for your upgrade process?

You can (re)use the existing db - even on a new install. Just run the installer like for a fresh system and then modify the db and contentstore url in the alfresco-global.properties. What could be a real pain is how to upgrade the postgres binaries and update the database within your local windows directory created by the Alfresco installer(s). You should check if pg_upgrade is included in your bin directory. Some weeks ago I did a inplace postres upgrade on linux system for a > 400 GB alfresco db and that took ~ 20 mins but on that system we already stored the db in a postres installed from the OS package manager, not from the Alfresco installer. Also I'm not sure if inplace postgres upgrade is supported on Windows at all since the mechanism creates symlinks in the new install dir.

What do you think to take this as a chance to move your db on a independant system using an official Postgres installer/deployment? I would even encourage you to move from Windows to Linux in this step, which makes updates/upgrade/tuning/clustering easier. For this migration you would need to pg_dump and pg_restore once but you you may play with parallel dump and parallel restoration to reduce the downtime.

Rebuilding postgres' indexes and updating statistics would not reduce any table/db sizes. For that size I would guess something like 100 mio nodes/documents. If you think it should be less you could check the trash bin (archive store) and the trash cleaner.