cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandeepreddy1
Active Member II

Upload Bulk Documents into Alfresco with Document properties using Excel sheet

Hai Everyone,

I need to upload bulk documents into alfresco with documents properties using excel sheet. can anyone help me please.

example: if i will upload 100 documents i need to provide documents properties from the excel sheet.

It's urgent for me. suggest me friends please.

2 Replies
dbiggins
Active Member II

Re: Upload Bulk Documents into Alfresco with Document properties using Excel sheet

I don't believe you can directly bulk import objects / metadata with Excel. 

Bulk imports are done by having files and properties (and versions if needed) as separate files, and pointing the import script to the directory.  the Alfresco Docs have some very good examples and explanations at:  Using the Bulk Import tool | Alfresco Documentation 

Your options for turning your Exel into a usable format could be programmatic, like creating a program to walk the excel sheet and create the appropriate files.

So if you wanted to bulk import a file called sample.pdf, you would have a file called sample.pdf (the binary), sample.pdf.metadata.properties.xml (containing the metadata).  the metadata properties file might look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd">
<properties>
<comment>exported from legacy data</comment>
<entry key="my:custom_date">1996-04-23T04:00:00.000Z</entry>
<entry key="my:custom_restrictons">Copyrighted Material</entry>
<entry key="my:custom_document_authors">author1</entry>
<entry key="type">my:document</entry>
<entry key="aspects">my:customAspect</entry>
<entry key="cm:title">Document Title</entry>
<entry key="mySmiley Tongueage_count">90</entry>
</properties>

Again, the import is pretty straightforward, you just need to get it in the correct format.

Dan

jpotts
Professional

Re: Upload Bulk Documents into Alfresco with Document properties using Excel sheet

What you are asking for is fairly common. There is nothing out-of-the-box that does this, but it is easy enough to script.

Excel can create CSV files easily and CSV files are easy to parse in just about any programming language.

My advice is to go to http://chemistry.apache.org and download a CMIS client for the language you are most familiar with. Then google how to parse a CSV file in that language. Once you've done that, you'll have all the ingredients you need to implement this.

Your program will then simply iterate over the rows in the CSV and then use CMIS to either create or update the objects in Alfresco.